Why are small vertical metal cutting band saws virtually nonexistent??

I bought one of the Swag portaband tables, thought it was junk and eventually ended up giving it away to a guy, who later threw it away. I use portabands saws everyday at work, they are hardly a precision tool, they are a crude cut off saw. My table was used with 4 different saws, one of them was brand new, just way too much blade flex. I can cut better or just as good, by hand, without the table.

I modified a Ryobi 903 to cut metal. The oem saw uses an XL style timing belt, I had a large XL pulley I had left over from a robotics project.
I like the model because it has ball bearing blade guides- bit of a pain to adjust but cuts nice and takes up little space-with a variable speed motor it would be terrific
Mark

I finally gave in and bought the Swag. Never could seem to find the time to build a stand. Got it today. It's a nice piece. One disappointment is that they didn't send me the right table insert. There are 2 countersunk holes but not the correct ones for the HF Bauer saw. I doubled checked to make sure that I ordered the correct on for the HF saw and I did. No issue. I countersunk the correct ones and got it together. Works well. Glad I finally got the Swag.

Close but no cigar...

Bolted in it's new home...

I had a foot switch that I use on my router table so I just moved it over to the saw...

I'll get a velcro strap but a zip tie sufficed for tonight to hold the switch engaged...

Overall I'm happy with the Swag and the HF Bauer saw. Seems like it'll be a good combo. I like that the saw comes out of the table with one knob and the insert will make using the saw easier when it's hand held. I'm going to keep searching for a real 14" or similar vertical metal saw but this will do for now.

TerryH. Did you just purchase the saw as well? The Bauer brand seems to be somewhat new at Harbor Freight? I got my HF Saw and Swag table about 2 years ago now. One thing I noticed about my saw is that cuts crooked. I still have not fixed it yet. Do you notice that yours does this or I’m wondering since yours is a Bauer that might be different ? I too have a footpedal that I got from HF. It works great but it’s a little tall.

TerryH. Did you just purchase the saw as well? The Bauer brand seems to be somewhat new at Harbor Freight? I got my HF Saw and Swag table about 2 years ago now. One thing I noticed about my saw is that cuts crooked. I still have not fixed it yet. Do you notice that yours does this or I’m wondering since yours is a Bauer that might be different ? I too have a footpedal that I got from HF. It works great but it’s a little tall.

I've had the saw for a few months. The new one is much improved over the old version which I also have. I use Lennox blades and they perform quite well. I made several test cuts last night and was very pleased with how it cut.

This is very interesting. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind pointing out the differences that you notice that you feel have improved it. My saw works but it could be better. The crooked cut gets to be a little annoying but I really dont think about it much as I automatically watch where the cut is going. I always think to myself that there are not any affordable metal band saws available and I can do most anything I want with this. I am very happy to have such a versatile tool. I use it all the time and have cut to its max depth on many many occassions and it performed very well.
I noticed recently that the top wheel is starting to get runout. I havent found a way to get rid of it though.
Oh, one quick suggestion. I am not sure how long your blades last before wearing out or breaking but the best way to make a blade last without breaking is to release the tensioner after you are done using it. In 2 years I have gone through 5 blades. 2 were El Cheapo’s from HF and the other 3 were Milwaukee. I have only broke one blade and that was because a few teeth got ripped off of it and it grabbed into a part I was cutting off. I am still using one of the remaining 3 name brand blades. The other 2 name brand blades wore out but have never broke. Releasing the tension allows the band to relax and prolongs its life. It is recommended t do this with all bandsaws but unfortunatly its not practical to do this with most machines. The portabands are the exception.
Lastly, I found a blade that I highly recommend for these portable bandsaws. Its a Milwaukee 10tpi Deep Cut. I have cut plastic aluminum steel brass in all different shapes and sizes. The tooth count and blade angle has been very universal to any material and material thickness. I never change it out. Just thought this bit of info would help anyone with one of these. Oh, and they are cheap. My local family owned hardware store which isnt cheap sells these for $9. Here is a picture of the box.

EBCF78A1-9E8C-4CD6-A808-53BD96E694F5.jpeg
I've had the saw for a few months. The new one is much improved over the old version which I also have. I use Lennox blades and they perform quite well. I made several test cuts last night and was very pleased with how it cut.

This is very interesting. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind pointing out the differences that you notice that you feel have improved it. My saw works but it could be better. The crooked cut gets to be a little annoying but I really dont think about it much as I automatically watch where the cut is going. I always think to myself that there are not any affordable metal band saws available and I can do most anything I want with this. I am very happy to have such a versatile tool. I use it all the time and have cut to its max depth on many many occassions and it performed very well.
I noticed recently that the top wheel is starting to get runout. I havent found a way to get rid of it though.
Oh, one quick suggestion. I am not sure how long your blades last before wearing out or breaking but the best way to make a blade last without breaking is to release the tensioner after you are done using it. In 2 years I have gone through 5 blades. 2 were El Cheapo’s from HF and the other 3 were Milwaukee. I have only broke one blade and that was because a few teeth got ripped off of it and it grabbed into a part I was cutting off. I am still using one of the remaining 3 name brand blades. The other 2 name brand blades wore out but have never broke. Releasing the tension allows the band to relax and prolongs its life. It is recommended t do this with all bandsaws but unfortunatly its not practical to do this with most machines. The portabands are the exception.
Lastly, I found a blade that I highly recommend for these portable bandsaws. Its a Milwaukee 10tpi Deep Cut. I have cut plastic aluminum steel brass in all different shapes and sizes. The tooth count and blade angle has been very universal to any material and material thickness. I never change it out. Just thought this bit of info would help anyone with one of these. Oh, and they are cheap. My local family owned hardware store which isnt cheap sells these for $9. Here is a picture of the box.

View attachment 274352

The new saw is heavier and a more substantial tool in general. Ergonomics are better on the new saw and it is significantly quieter and smoother. I was guessing that the old saw wouldn't last for 5 minutes the way it sounded the first time I used it but I've had it for years and it still sounds awful but has never missed a beat. The frame of the new saw feels more rigid. The old saw had an single bearing guide setup where the new saw has double roller bearing guides. One place the old saw does win out is the switch has a lock that the new saw does not have. Overall the new saw is better on just about every front.

Back