WHY Can't I buy a Centering Cone for the Mill?

I made these for centering router template bushings. They are tubing finials for custom vehicle frames from Total Metal Innovations. Just added a 1/4" and 1/2" shafts.

Centering Cones.JPG

I've used a coaxial indicator to center rotary table to spindle centerline many times.

Reactions: Z2V
I got tired of dialing in a swivel base that I mount chucks on. My swivel base now lives on the left side of the table and the mill vise is on the right. I spent a goodly amount of time one day getting the swivel base centered on the quill. I then wrote down the X & Y coordinates including the direction to move the table to those coordinates and taped the coordinates to the head of the mill. To center the swivel base to the quill all I have to do is move the table to the coordinates. Without a chuck on the swivel base anything in the vise clears the swivel base. And with a chuck on the swivel base anything in the chuck clears the vise.

IMG_3895.JPG

I know someone is going mention losing everything when I move the head. If I have to move the head I always use a DI to bring the head back to the same position.

IMG_3818.JPG

Last edited:
What you are asking after is a "Bull Nose" center with a straight shank. I have a couple that I've finagled into a live center with a 1/2" tail stock chuck that swivels. Normally used for pipe or tubing, mine are only about 3" diameter for the large one. I don't do large work so don't need anything bigger. I have seen them above 12" in the Pipe Shop but don't know what the shank size was. It should be an "off the shelf" item under the name "Bull Nose Center".

Also, check Advanced Innovations in Austin. Joe Pie makes a centering tool for rotary table work that you can use with a DRO.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back