Why Can't I get my DTI to Repeat

Maybe check chuck run-out to see if it does the same?

Yes it is the same. Checked the taper of the ER chuck.
Maybe try to take a video later.

If it were me, I'd start from square one and pull the chuck and check spindle run out.

I did. I can't detect any movement other than some deflection which looks normal.
Was your preload to much or to loose?

I did. I can't detect any movement other than some deflection which looks normal.
Was your preload to much or to loose?

I had to little pre load but the mass of my chuck made it not obvious until I put a moderate amount of force on to wiggle it around. (not massive just more than the chuck weighs)

Totally random and probably not the issue, is the part magnetic or have the indicators become magnetized at all ?

Stu

You've never had problems with this chuck or lathe before now?

Spindle runout is less than .0005" but I'm thinking it must be the holders i'm using. This is not making any sense to me.

Totally random and probably not the issue, is the part magnetic or have the indicators become magnetized at all ?

Stu
no they're not.
You've never had problems with this chuck or lathe before now?
Always been like this since I've owned it. Only ever used two holders. One that goes onto my QCTP for the 4JC and the other on a Noga. I bought an old ERICK Magna holder thinking it would be a more rigid holder but maybe not.

no they're not.
Always been like this since I've owned it. Only ever used two holders. One that goes onto my QCTP for the 4JC and the other on a Noga. I bought an old ERICK Magna holder thinking it would be a more rigid holder but maybe not.

Ow well , I always like the simple fixes :(

Are the indicators repeating well in other ways ? like measuring something on a surface plate for example.

Stu

Back