Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

When I joined the army in 1968 the drill instructors had a hard time with my last name, except for one Italian d.i. They used to call me Roy with the esses so I just use royesses. I only did 3 years years in the service but the name has stuck with me. In school in NY is was called Scucci, but my son, daughter and cousins also were called scucci.

Back in my earlier years, probably when my dad moved us to Houston in 1965, the company he work for had several special machine tools that were built from surplus WWII ordnance equipment. They were old gun barrel drilling machines built by LeBlond Machine tool. Of course, they were stripped of any tooling capable of being used for gun barrel manufacturing. They took these machines and "soup them up" with higher spindle speeds, more horse power, BTA style tooling for trepanning deep holes in steel bars. These machine tools were referred to as "4GSR", for their size. LeBlond built these machines in sizes from a No. 1 all the way up to a No. 7 machine. The most popular was the No. 4 machine. If you contacted LeBlond about these machines, they would tell you that they have no recollection of ever building these machines!

Anyways, moving forward to around 1977, I went to work part time, while in college, at a place in Houston that had a couple of these machines set up trepanning holes in steel bars. In three years I worked there I help rebuild/retrofit many of these old gun boring lathes. Again, the old LeBlond one's were the most popular to retrofit into trepanning machines. As I said, 4GSR, the "4" represents the machine size, BTW- these machines were built in lengths up over 100 feet long. The "G" represented gun drilling, The "S" indicated skiving, and the "R" indicated rifling, which some of the machines were originally equipped with the gear to "rifle" the gun barrels. That's where my handle originated from. Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0008.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0009.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
I chose Sandia, as that is the little town we live close to. Real name is Robert Wayne, nick named Bob all my life.
The Avatar was my passions all my life, old cars and street rods. Drove one all thru high school and built and owned them all my life. The pictured car was the last one, sold it to a great guy in Santa Maria, CA last July.

View attachment 142536

Bob, I've been thru that little town, Sandia, a million times over the years, traveling from Alice to Beeville, later to Houston. I remember when the Sandia State Bank was robbed! Made the news of the Coastal Bend! I have a clan of relatives that live somewhere over on the south side of the lake. Seems like we always meet in Beeville when we have family gatherings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well- on another forum I haunt, there's a fella that goes by "Alphawolf45" that has a tag line to the effect that "A quality tool wears out; a cheap one Breaks. There are no exceptions."

So "Dulltool" vs broken tool. 17 is my Birthday. The avatar is a pic of me in the Pertified Forest in NE New Mexico.

Bob, I've been thru that little town, Sandia, a million times over the years, traveling from Alice to Beeville, later to Houston. I remember when the Sandia State Bank was robbed! Made the news of the Coastal Bend! I have have clan of relatives that live somewhere over on the south side of the lake. Seems like we always meet in Beeville when we have family gatherings.

Hey Ken, not much to it is it. Actually I live about 8 miles from there on the south end of the lake. Barbon Estates to be exact. I recall the bank robbery back in the day. A very good gunsmith bought the building and hung his shingle. Does super work, been at it for 30 or 40 years I guess. Builds some beautiful custom rifles, in the 7 to 8K range.

I was an offshore diver. The old style helmets were referred to by the number of bolts that clamp the neckring down. But I always sign off with my real name.

cheers Phil
12bolts, I am a sport scuba diver but somehow I am fascinated by old dive equipment. Were you using something like the Mark V diving dress?

And BTW, my user name is just my initials plus the first 4 letters of my last name.

Back