Why do I need a drill press?

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A friend who is a machinist insisted that I buy a floor standing model drill press for my garage shop. I have a Bridgeport, what is the compelling reason why I need to buy a drill press?

Thank you.

A drill press is nice to have, but if you already have a vertical mill, there is no reason that you absolutely NEED to have a drill press. Personally, I like having both, but I could get by without the drill press if I had to. The only real advantage I can see with the floor model drill press is that you can get a greater distance between the spindle and the table with a drill press than with a mill, but just how often do you need that extra distance? Setups are generally faster with the drill press, too, but that's not really a deciding factor in my book.

For me it's convenience & quick to use. I've always wanted a better drill press even though I have a mill/drill but it's not on my short list. I just have a cheap little Craftsman benchtop drill press that doesn't have it's own spot in my garage. Still it's easier for me to pull it out, set on the bench, throw a drill bit in it, & drill the hole(s) that I need.

I do use my mill to just drill holes sometimes but I tend to find myself spending more time on setup. Like if I need to drill a through hole, then I need to grab a set of parallels or blocks to space it properly. And if the mill had some other tool in it then I'd have to change it out for a drill chuck. And after all that, I might end up trying to dial the part in as it's just a habit when working at the mill when I didn't need that precise of a hole anyway. Too much time wasted for a hole that I could have drilled quicker than installing a drill chuck in the mill. And sometimes I might have a part already setup in the mill too.

With a mill I don't need a drill press, but I use it a lot. Mostly for deburing holes, I pretty much always have a countersink in the chuck. It is also quick to setup to drill a hole or two.

It is just easier to use the DP some times. If you are going to buy one, buy a decent one. I own a POS and it seems I dont like using it for that reason alone. Even if it was easier to set up in the DP it's faster to do on the mill. And thats all because my harbor freight special. So you dont need one, but if your gonna buy one, buy a decent one

And harbor freight may very well have some decent ones. I dont know. But the one I got is not among them

It depends on what your needs are. For me, I do a lot of woodworking. So having the capabilities to drill straight & consistent holes is a must. Even with a quill on your mill (which I don't have), it can be cumbersome using a mill for most drilling.

There are plenty of good, quality brand, used DPs for sale. In my part of the world, they generally go for 50$ - 300$, depending on condition, accessories, etc.

Edit: I have a 1948 Atlas No.74, 15" floor DP that is a staple in my shop.

ATLAS DRILL1.jpg

To all responders, thank you.

I think I will hold up in sourcing a DP. At least I will be getting more trigger time on the mill and getting my upper body work out for a bonus manually cranking on all axes. Will use the power feed when I am comfortable with what I am doing on the mill. That knee crank is wearing me out.... and the Y crank is harder to crank when the table is near either end of the travel.

On the other hand, I set up an alert on CL for DP, if a good one comes up for the right price I will snag it.

I haven't turn my drill press on in ten years. It just sits collecting dust. I just find using the mill much easier.

Back