Why I am back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Dear Members:

It had been my intention to leave the day-to-day operation of this forum in the hands of Gator, 4GSR, and Terry.
This was so that I could finally get my tiny shop constructed, organized, and my machines running.
Over the past 7-1/2 years, I have not been able to do so. My primary focus was this site.
The agreement was that I would continue to handle the behind the scenes technical work, and the legal and filings.
The profile of Hobby Mac was actually me addressing your technical issues such as the login issue, and fixing it.
I would remain as president of the not for profit corporation that runs the site, and attend board meetings.
I had a profile for those activities that did not post on the site, Liam.
All of the corporations filings, agency listings, and other legal documents indicate me as the agent.
The address of the corporation is my home.
Thus, I am still legally involved and responsible for what transpires here.
It was my hope that sound leadership would make my desire to turn this over possible.

However, it was noted that many of the board members and moderators had stopped participating.
I was at a loss to figure it out.
I recently learned that, behind the scenes, the three admins were running the forum without submitting things to the board.
They were also criticizing the few things that I did do on the site, in what I feel was an attempt to drive me off.
They wanted to make major changes to the structure and organization of the site, and planned privately to do so.
If I were gone, they would be able to do so without submitting anything to the board for their approval.

The operation of this site by circumventing the board of directors, and discussing their ideas in emails, telephone calls, and private messages is a violation of our bylaws, and is a breach of fiduciary duty on the part of the board members involved. These include the three individuals named above, along with Bill Gruby, who was present in the discussion of major changes to the site which were not submitted to the board for approval. It is no small wonder that other board members and staff felt that they were left out. They were.

I am saddened by this turn of events. I had hoped that the site had a sound succession plan for the site that was not dependent upon me as its founder. That is not possible. Accordingly, the board of directors is hereby discharged due to the actions of these four directors.
I will resume the position of administrator of the site, and continue as president of the corporation.
The corporate structure will change to reflect the realities of what transpired here.

To those of you who might otherwise hesitate to utilize the site because I am in charge of it, I want you to know this.
I bear no grudges against anyone. I welcome everyone here. If you were banned and wish to return, and agree to follow the rules, return and be welcome. If you have any doubts, just contact me, and we will speak at support@hobby-machinist.com.

The mission of this forum was, is, and will continue to be that we are "The Friendly Machinist Forum."

Nelson

Welcome back Nelson. :)

I had my suspicions that something was going on, but they were only that.

I was actually scouring the web for a alternate site recently, in preperation for abandoning this site entirely. And now I don't have to. Thank you.

I do hope that you can find folks to help with the management of the site, so you can get your shop up and running. There has to be a few willing folks out there. Somewhere...

Last edited:
Welcome back Nelson. :)

I had my suspicions that something was going on, but they were only that.

I was actually scouring the web for a alternate site recently, in preperation for abandoning this site entirely. And now I don't have to. Thank you.

I do hope that you can find folks to help with the management of the site, so you can get your shop up and running. There has to be some honest folks out there. Somewhere...

Bill,

I am just curious, why were you going to abandon the site?

And.....are you volunteering? LOL

Nelson

Just some comments being made here and there (yes, I'm being intentionally vague... ;) )

And...it would depend on what you need help with. :)

It's a shame things didn't work out like you wanted ! I for one am very appreciative for the site and all of the invaluable information and experience offered to non-machinist hobbyist on here.

I had noticed a slight change in things here and was just waiting to see what was going on. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was going on so thought I would wait and see.

Nels,
All of the "behind the scenes" actions that you wrote of went completely over my head (no clue) so I have no comment on them.
I'm very sad to see Terrywerm has gotten caught up in these goings on. I have a high opinion of his style and contributions that I've run across. I thought he was an ideal member. Very sad indeed.

I'm new around here, so there's no reason to really trust me with things.... That said, if you really need technical help I can offer some time. My background is mostly programming and systems admin. I would hate to see the site go downhill due to lack of help. I've seen a few groups/sites have similar issues and it's very sad to see. Hopefully things get better.

I guess I could moderate the general "friendly forum" type stuff, but being new to machining, I couldn't really evaluate posts for accuracy. It doesn't seem like that's really the way of things around here, but it's only fair to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back