Why I bought a mill

Awesome responses gents!

In a similar vein, after I got the mill unloaded on Saturday my mega-supportive partner said that I seem to be well on a path to setting up a well equipped hobby shop. She asked what else I might need.

I replied that I’d like a TIG welder.

Her response?
“Well your birthday is coming up”

She is seriously the best partner ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, she's thinking LONG TERM, while you're thinking Short Term. Once you have the shop filled to capacity with fancy tools she'll be saying "now that you've got all the tools you need it's my turn". I doubt she'll be buying welders, lathes, or milling machines, but you can bet whatever she buys will cost the same as, or more than the tools in the shop.

Be careful what you wish for next.

As for the weld not being pretty, I was told long ago "you don't need to be a good welder, just a good grinder".

Don't forget a couple gallons of Evaporust for those flea market treasures.

@DavidR8, what you really need to buy is a can of this paint and watch it turn into a TIG welder.
MI098205.jpg

Awesome.

Every time I pick up my MIG torch I feel good knowing that I’m going to increase dividends for Norton and 3M shareholders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your logic ! So when I bought a rotary table the guy had some R8 collets that I ended up buying so now I need a Bridgeport ! :encourage:

LOL , Dave's at it again ! :laughing: Good thing you're far away Dave or we would take you broke ! :high 5:

Order of need:
  1. Gallon or two of Varsol
  2. Hoist
  3. Paint
  4. Vice
  5. MT3 ER32 or ER40 chuck
  6. Matching collets
  7. ...
Not to be a spelling/grammar Nazi, but I say you already have Number 4 covered (like everyone else on this forum).
:D

Definition of vice vs. vise:

1582215591628.png

1582215673732.png

So I guess in some folks eyes we who love everything machine tool related have a vice. I have multiples of each. . . Reminds me of the old joke about the octogenarian who married a 20-year old. Subject of sex came up and he said it would be infrequently. She asked if that was one or two words.

Bruce:D

Back