Why no small high-quality lathes?

keithd

Active User
Registered
I currently have an old Jet 9x20 that needs replacing. My problem is that I have very little room in my shop, so I am limited to a 9x, 10x, or maybe 11x24. 12x is just too large, as is x36.

The problem is that I can't find a quality full-featured lathe in that size range. The Chinese lathes I can find are generally in the $1,000 range for a 9x to the $1,600 range for an 11x. But these are not quality or full-featured lathes. Usually no VFD, usually a combo threading/turning lead screw, often no reverse power carriage feed, usually no power cross feed, usually limited thread pitches, usually no Cam Lock chuck, often too slow of a top speed (1,500 RPM or less), usually too fast of minimum turning feed rate, never a brake, ..., etc.

The closest thing I've found to approximately what I'm looking for is the Southbend 8K (8x18) (South Bend Lathe Co.) for about $3,000. But it is a step down in size from what I want, and I'd rather stay at 9x or go a step up.

The next closest thing I've found is the Precision Mathews PM1127VF-LB (PM1127VF Lathe). But it has some threading weirdnesses, is hard to get, and has a bit too large of a footprint for my space.

I want a new lathe, not a used lathe or old-style lathe. I'm willing to pay in the range of $3,500 for a 9x and $5,000 for an 11x, i.e., two to three times the price of standard Chinese lathes from Grizzly/Enco/Jet ...

Does no such thing exist, or have I just not found it? I find it hard to believe there is no market for such a machine.

Any pointers to a new, small, high-quality, full-featured lathe would be appreciated. Or even confirmation that none exist would help.

Thanks, Keith

What threading wierdnesses are there on the PM 11" lathe? I cannot access the owner's manual,and wonder why they just show the cover?? And,when you try to see the 18 x 60" lathe,it shows a 16 x 60" instead.

Don't rule out some of the European machinery. Better than Chinese, any day. Of course, finding a US distributor would probably be the most difficult, but surely some would ship direct if you were willing to go through all that hassle.

New? Forget it. Could be wrong but yer probly s.o.l.

Used there are two right off I can think of that meet your req.

Emco Maier Super 11
Colchester Bantam Mk2 11x30

Both are rare but do pop up once in awhile. About 900lb +/-machines.

What about the SB 1002? Seems about perfect for you.

Too long of a footprint. Anything beyond x24 is just too long for my space. The SB1002 is only x28, but its headstock is extra wide making the footprint 56" wide. Other than that I would definitely be considering it. Especially since I have a SB1027 (9x48) vertical milling machine, which I love.

Thanks, Keith

I looked at it, but it is a x36, which is simply too long for my space. Unfortunately, x24 is about as wide as I can go. Grizzly offers a 12x24 that looks similar to the wttool 12x36 only shorter. But at 12x even a x24 has a 53" long footprint, which is just too wide.

I might be able to make a 53" long lathe work if it was on wheels so I could pull it out for gear changes. But the 12x lathes are all over 1,000 lbs, which I am reluctant to put on wheels. I guess it could be done if I made my own custom stand, which I might have to do.

Thanks, Keith

I dont know where you are but there are deals out there
this is in tampa fl.
steve
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/3399190461.html

It looks nice and looks to be a good size for me.

But the top spindle speed is only 1,000 RPM, which is slower than I like for aluminum.

But the big problem is that I live in California (Bay Area). Buying used machines long distance is a challenge, which is one reason I prefer new.

I've been watching used lists out here, but haven't yet run across anything suitable.

Thanks, Keith

Back