Why no small high-quality lathes?

My bad. Tida TA-4a or 5a.. Nice machines.

i predict the era of chinese tech is now upon us and we will start to see chinese products with levels of precision rivaling those of the best out there - and then some maybe ...
China manufactures the majority of the world's smartphones. The fit of the major case components as well as the assembly of miniaturized electronics is very, very precise. Apple, for example, has said repeatedly that the Chinese workforce is second-to-none in producing extraordinary volumes of ultra-high quality output. Of course, much of the work is automated but that still requires many high-skilled people to keep the machines calibrated and maintained. Specialized Chinese schools pump out people ready to do this work.

Incidentally, I have read that Apple is by far the world's biggest buyer of high-end CNC machining equipment. When you produce scores of millions of a single model of a product, fleets of machines are required working 24/7 to produce each single part!

Craig

Yes.
No.
Depends.

The apple iphone case v9 // whatever needs about 56 milling and machining operations.
Videos online, yt.
Apple pays about 9$ for 1$- in materials costs leaving foxconn about 8$ per part to pay for this.

But in qty 250 million per unit lots of things are fungible.

China manufactures the majority of the world's smartphones. The fit of the major case components as well as the assembly of miniaturized electronics is very, very precise. Apple, for example, has said repeatedly that the Chinese workforce is second-to-none in producing extraordinary volumes of ultra-high quality output. Of course, much of the work is automated but that still requires many high-skilled people to keep the machines calibrated and maintained. Specialized Chinese schools pump out people ready to do this work.

Incidentally, I have read that Apple is by far the world's biggest buyer of high-end CNC machining equipment. When you produce scores of millions of a single model of a product, fleets of machines are required working 24/7 to produce each single part!

Craig

China has more college graduates than we have people.

I was an expat in China for 4 years to run the project management office when we built the most advanced semiconductor factory on all of China. The project at 1.2B was also the largest foreign investment in all of China. I can speak first hand how Chinese engineers and workers are. We hired the top gradiates from the top universities in the country. I can without a doubt put these Chinese engineers against any of their counterparts in EU, Asia, and the US. I managed projects in Germany, France, UK, Japan, as well in our factories in AZ, and TX.

How good did our products come out? The first silicon yielded better than the mature product we transferred from our factory in AZ. The subsequent lot yielded better than our foundry in Taiwan had been producing.

Last edited:
china vs arizona (or anywhere in the usa) in terms of production quality? hardly a fair comparison

Back