Why no small high-quality lathes?

Thanks. But the specs say nothing about a power cross feed. The picture is low resolution, but I don't see controls for a power cross feed. No power cross feed puts it out of consideration.

--
Keith

Looks like it to me. Even has the power control on the apron.lathe.JPG

Yes, you are right. I stand corrected. The picture I saw on the Web site was too low resolution to see this.

Thanks. I will look into it.

--
Keith

Thanks. But the specs say nothing about a power cross feed. The picture is low resolution, but I don't see controls for a power cross feed. No power cross feed puts it out of consideration.

--
Keith
I'm pretty certain it has power cross feed. A quick Google search shows 2 leavers on the carriage.

Thanks,Dan. I did see that eventually. Those white lathes are hard to see details on! But,I'll guarantee,that they are the easiest of ALL to see the smallest drip of oil,or a stray chip!! WHY do they keep making WHITE machinery??????

You may need to look at a 9A or old 10K South Bend or even a Logan lathe and have to rebuild the lathe
There are other brands out there but the price goes up

Dave

Be very careful if you are considering a Grizzly. I bought their 14x40 "High Precision" lathe. Quality control is worse than I ever expected.
The inspection report claimed the tailstock was aligned to a few tenths. In reality it was 0ver 1/8 of an inch high! I brought it into usable
condition after much fretting and careful setup on the Bridgeport. Grizzly did say they would send me another one but not send a tech.
to fit it to my machine, thanks but no thanks. That was the most glaring problem, there were others.

NEVER believe the spec paper that comes with ANY Asian lathe!!! I think they are all printed the same,and just stuck in with any lathe. The same goes with the poop sheet with a chuck. You really got unlucky! a 1/8" too high tailstock is just out of the ball park!!

I still have my 1986 16" x 42" Grizzly. But,back then,they were made in Taiwan. Now,you have to pay a LOT extra for a model made there. Other wise you get mainland Chinese. The quality control is very poor,and they will send you a lathe full of sand if they feel like it. I can't really blame them,as they get nearly nothing for their work. But,you end up on the short end of the stick. The real problem is Americans wanting something for as low a price as they can get. Try pricing a Standard Modern lathe made in North America.

Grizzly WILL send you a replacement for a really faulty part,but tailstocks need to be made to fit the lathe they are going on.

Their Chinese lathes also have TOO SOFT steel in some parts. I have seen wrecked rack gears,and a wrecked gear that ran in the rack. ACTUAL BENT OVER TEETH both on the rack and the rack gear! My friend Jon's Grizzly lathe had that happen. He now wants to only use that lathe for polishing gun barrels,and buy another lathe for turning.

Jon knows how to use a lathe,too. He worked with me in our Tool Maker's Shop in Williamsburg for MANY years. He is a master craftsman in his own right.

I shoulda', coulda', woulda'...as I think about an old Logan I bought for $500, I reworked, then sold it for $2000 ...then the Cadillac of em' all: A Monarch EE in good shape I ran into for $10000 (including all sorts of tooling, chucks etc.) that I probably could have got for $8500 cash....anyway, now I am also looking. (Note: at the same time as that Logan I had a table top jet Mill (power feed in X) that I bought for $800 that I also gave a little TLC care to and also sold for $2000 (also looking again)....what was I thinking!!!! (I guess I wasn't!!)

Back