Why no small high-quality lathes?

None of the small Grizzly's have power cross feed.

And I agree completely. One of the things I hate most about these small Chinese lathes is the gear changing. That is a real pain. It also increases the footprint of the lathe because you have to be able to open the gear-cover door. That either adds a foot to the length or requires the machine be on casters so it can easily be pulled out for access. But that is a problem with a 600-1,000 lb lathe that would better be solidly mounted.

What is a Jet 10x24? I didn't know they made one. A simple search doesn't turn it up. Can you give me a pointer?

Thanks, Keith

That's all a good argument for a CNC conversion (although it won't shorten the lathe's footprint).

Threads and tapers are cut by programming rather than gear changing, and the cross-feed is powered as part of the conversion.
Using a pendant, as discussed elsewhere, will allow you retain full manual control.

M

keithd: There is a picture near the beginning of this thread of a 10x24" lathe,cream colored, for sale on craigslist in Tampa. It is exactly the same model(not the same name) as my 1976 Jet 10x24. It seems to be missing the follower rest. I really enjoyed that lathe,and only got rid of it due to space. Plus,I needed the money to help pay for a 16"x40" lathe which I bought in 1986,and still have. I really don't have a lot of extra room now either,or I might buy the lathe in Tampa myself,just to get the model back.

I'm starting to hate this thread because some of these smaller lathes look really, really cool... -And you know what that means? Time to start rearranging the shop! My first lathe was a 16" Lablond that my father taught me with starting before primary school. LOL, he called that one we had in the garage "a baby machine". ...Finally getting to the point where big iron = heavy iron and I'm gett'n too old for that crap. Man, these small machines look really tempting.

All this discussion of Jet, Grizzly etc etc.
I thought the Op specified high quality??
Again, a bit long but if you cant muster a few ft via some rearanging - I dunno
http://www.standard-modern.com/1334.html

wholesale tool is very poor on the information they give out on their equipment but the cz300 i showed you is 23" between centers has power cross feed and reverse tumbler. i have located the lathe in other places with specs including one of the original taiwanese made lathes for $1150 barley used, very clean.
here are the specs, click on english
http://spanish.alibaba.com/product-gs/cz1224-cz300-precision-bench-lathe-289069218.html
here is the used one in tampa florida, if i had room this one would be in my shop
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/3399190461.html
the taiwan version is really well built I hear.
steve

3Ge3F73o95Z55M85J5cb9e2f8a725431d120a.jpg CZ1224_CZ300_Precision_Bench_Lathe.jpg

in the crate the one on alibaba is only 56" long
sorry i post the craigslist one already but it is a 10 x 24 probably not too long for your needs.
steve

The Spanish lathe is METRIC. Also,if it has anything to do with Alibaba(Al Babin),I'd strongly advise you to stay entirely away from it. He seems to be a very well known character of dubious virtue from what I have read in MANY postings concerning him. I don't know him personally. Just relaying what I've read on other forums.

my point for the alibaba one was the specs are all there to read. but it does cut metric and american threads.
steve

i just reread the entire thread, has to be under 53" total length under $5000 for 11" not chinese...
almost every feature available on a lathe...
we would probably have better luck looking for a unicorn or santa clause i think
steve

Back