Why they stop using steel belt.

Tienle

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Anyone here still use the old style steel belt? I wonder why they stop using it. I have one come with the lathe. I plan to use it until I get a leather belt. How do I cut this to make shorter belt?
Thanks

2D4EDB3A-5D72-4DFF-9328-BE44449652AF.jpeg

What lathe is this for? Is this steel belt to be used with metal pulleys? I would expect it to slip and give unsatisfactory service, use a rubber belt
Mark

Hi,
Anyone here still use the old style steel belt? I wonder why they stop using it. I have one come with the lathe. I plan to use it until I get a leather belt. How do I cut this to make shorter belt?
Thanks
Hi Tienle,
They have some wonderful polyurethane round belts that work just great for small lathes
it comes in both imperial and metric dimensions
http://www.fennerdrives.com/eagle/

you can weld the belts together with a BIC lighter or spade soldering iron tip.
the belts are not formed to a specific size, they come on a roll

i use different grades of these materials, for material and food handling purposes too, but i have the belt welder

Hi,
Thanks
So assuming you have a connector, I would dremel cut it with a cutoff wheel. That will give you a nice clean cut without ruining the shape. Retrieve the connector from the cut off section and re-use.
The belts are efficient and can make 90 degree twists between the pulleys. They run smooth. I am curious about the lathe.

I’m setting up a watchmaker lathe. It’s a unknown bed, levin headstock with a wrong draw bar, no collet and no tail stock. I will have a complete Boley next week. I want to use the steel belt to keep a vintage look. I don’t do watch repair or anything serious. Just learn to cut small parts.

So far this is my temporary set up in waiting for the Boley coming next week. I have a very tight space to work so look like the motor is too close to the lathe.

EF08C6B8-EE3C-4DE0-931D-219CD3406F65.jpeg

F8F155DB-171C-4E61-A552-0865028A90F7.jpeg

Back