Why Would A Machinist Or Woodworker Need One Of These???

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
I would have thought it more at home in a doctor's shirt pocket.

author=Whyemier link=topic=3535.msg25588#msg25588 date=1315869677
author=Tony Wells link=topic=3535.msg25587#msg25587 date=1315869530
I would have thought it more at home in a doctor's shirt pocket.

Me too, but then I looked at it again and got to thinking. The scale goes up to 200deg.F. Could it have something to do with temps in annealling metal. Don't know much about that either

Nope, too low for most metals but might work for melting wax or even chocolate in a double boiler. <<<<<

Last edited by a moderator:
The only immediate need I can see is that some electroplating solutions have to be used at the right temperatures to do well. Hide glue needs to be kept under 140º TOPS. I do 130.But,that's not really machinist's realm, UNLESS he had to repair leather overhead drive belts. Hide glue mixed with tannin was a good adhesive for that,so it could have been used to heat the glue properly.

Maybe the guy used it to check his coffee temp before he tried to drink it so he would not get burned. I would not try that because he might have used it for rectal temp, one has to be carefull now a days. It is not used for HVAC, they use laser beam gun or metal probe with round gauge for that.
Paul

I recall a whiskey ad from the 50's: "Smoother going down". To which I add: "Rougher coming up!!!!"

I have one exactly like that. I bought it off the Snap-On truck, I use it for checking the temp of the air coming out of the vents when the a/c is blowing when working on cars. Looking for about 38 degrees.

I also have one that looks like that on a higher scale. Its for sticking in the radiator and checking the coolant temp.

One could probably think of many other uses

I think the stuff you picked up is from someone like the rest of us...A Collector....
I have a few of the thermometers as well.In the picture they are from right to left:
Right side, my first one, it's a later version of yours(used it last week to take my own temp.) slow acting
Second one, hard to read the scale.
Third one is the one used the most ,digital read out and fairly quick.
The one on the left is in use, working on the fridge, digital with probe.
The round one in the back is to tell me how hot it is in my shop.
Yah...I'm one of those HVAC/R guys
brian

lathe jobs 006.JPG

Back