WI, IL, IA used / surplus tool dealers

skelso

Active User
Registered
I travel quite a bit on business. If I have free time while I'm out and about I like to hit local pawn shops, used/surplus tool dealers, scrap yards that sell to the public, etc. I'll be working in Kenosha, WI and Des Moines, IA during the next month. Anyone know of any such places I should plan to check out within a couple of hours of either location?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I can't recommend any places to you, but I thought it was "cool" that a guy from Bryan was coming to work in Kenosha WI, which is a short distance from where THIS guy named Bryan lives! :))

If I think of any places I'll post em' tho......

I can't recommend any places to you, but I thought it was "cool" that a guy from Bryan was coming to work in Kenosha WI, which is a short distance from where THIS guy named Bryan lives! :))

If I think of any places I'll post em' tho......
I'd like to know about those too!
(another guy that lives near Bryan)

Gee I'm sorry if I built up any hopes. I'm in Oak Creek, which is about 30 miles from Kenosha - give or take - so I don't frequent that area at all [other than a few bar stops when I was riding in the MC Chapter]. I'll ask around and see what I can find out, but don't stop eating until I get some results. :dunno:

Lol, poor Mike is probably lost since I asked about restaurants via PM...

Since y'll were both kind enough to reply, I'm sending ya'll a PM with contact info for a guy I stumbled upon that has a lifetime of accumulated machinist stuff and is moving so he's selling a lot of it. I spent about an hour at his house last night and another 3 hours today but still didn't make it through all the boxes... Since I'm just getting started, I tried to stick to stuff I was fairly certain I would use so there was a lot I passed on.

6a7uha6u.jpg

I think his prices were pretty good. All of this cost me just shy of $300.

I looked at some used machines years ago place called Midwest Machinery Inc.
They are near Kenosha.
Franklinville i think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Evansville, Indiana area (extreme SW corner of Indiana) had a lot of used equipment dealers a few years ago. Economy got to most of them. The only ones that I know of are Doug's Surplus in Posyville, In. and Maple Machinery in Daylight, In. I've also been flipping equipment and tools as a sideline. Maybe someone out there knows of some shops in my area.

I travel about a week per month for work. I routinely check the local craigslist ads at least a couple days prior and while in area daily. Found many deals that way.

In southern Wisconsin, try Delaney's Northwest of Sauk City and south of Baraboo on Hwy 12. They are across from the old Badger Ammunition plant and buy and sell all kinds of surplus. I haven't been through there personally, in perhaps fifteen years but they used to have a wide variety of items. Their website dosen't show much but I would expect that they have a large assortment of one-offs. While you're there, take the time to tour the metal sculptures on the grounds. http://delaneyssurplus.com/visit/

Back