WiFi signal booster for shed work shop.

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
My shed is about 75' from back of my house and wifi signal is in the mid 70's. So what is a good wifi extender for my situation?

I've used wi-fi extenders with varying levels of success, but recently ordered an pair of ethernet over power adapters which were super simple to configure and work great. Not much help if you have a wi-fi only need, but if your shop devices can use ethernet, they are the bees knees.

I used a Cisco wireless extender in the past and it worked well. It just plugged into a 110v outlet and did some simple configuration.
Even though my shop is within 20 ft of my house I have lousy signal because our router is in the basement so wifi signal has to go through concrete.

I've used wi-fi extenders with varying levels of success, but recently ordered an pair of ethernet over power adapters which were super simple to configure and work great. Not much help if you have a wi-fi only need, but if your shop devices can use ethernet, they are the bees knees.
I have a 100 amp panel in my shed. Do you know if a ethernet over power adapter will work via my shed panel?

I used extenders, and a setup that was supposed to use the 110v wiring to send a signal. Neither worked worth a darn through the metal walls of my shop.

I just gave up and ran a wire to my shop. Problem solved.

Last edited:
I have a 100 amp panel in my shed. Do you know if a ethernet over power adapter will work via my shed panel?
Works fine for me. My understanding is as long as both units are on the same side of the last transformer, they will work fine. My old house shared a boundry with my Mothers, and we were both on the same side of the transformer, and they also worked fine there. Saved my mother from having to have internet for what little she used it. They work good if plugged into a wall outlet, or extension cord, but not a surge protector.

@HarryJM there seems to be a lack of consensus about it, but many users report that it works thru a sub panel just fine. Here's the one that we bought, and most of the reviews say it will work thru sub panels.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01H74VKZU

It looks like Amazon doesn't have them in stock at this time, but we only paid $120 for the 2 port version.

My shop is about 75 feet from my house as well. The cable modem is about 20 feet from the side of the house facing the shop. I have a TP-Link WIFI Range Extender in the shop window facing the house. Works very well.

Get a high power access point

Nanobeam may be one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back