WiFi signal booster for shed work shop.

One of the main reasons the ethernet over powerline adapters don't work is if there is a GFCI on either branch circuit. Newer homes may have them in the power panel as GFCI breakers, along with AFCI breakers. The ethernet adapters over power will trip them, as the adapters send their signal when the AC voltage is 0 on the phase crossover and the breakers see that as a fault.

Currently, I have an ethernet over power feeding my shop that has GFCI outlets on the branches at the first outlet, not in the subpanel as GFCI breakers. I placed an outlet for the adapter only in between the panel breaker and the GFCI to the branch outlets, and it works well.

As someone else stated, both sides of the ethernet over power adapter have to be on the same 110v leg from the transformer feeding the house and shop. If the remote shop is on it's own meter and off a different transformer, it won't pass over. My shop has 220v from the house, so it was a mater of matching them up to be on the same leg. You may have to try different outlets on each side to find a match.

One of the main reasons the ethernet over powerline adapters don't work is if there is a GFCI on either branch circuit. Newer homes may have them in the power panel as GFCI breakers, along with AFCI breakers. The ethernet adapters over power will trip them, as the adapters send their signal when the AC voltage is 0 on the phase crossover and the breakers see that as a fault.
Since I have both GFCI and AFCI breakers then ethernet over powerline will not work for me and will have to do some more research. Maybe a mesh wifi system may work as I currently have Sonos setup in my house and can control it from my shed via cell phone.

I am not sure it will help with the distance but I have a techno friend that recently installed the new Google WiFi extender product that is a Mesh network. He says that it is working fantastic for him.

I have always used Ubiquity products to extend my WIFI to my shop.
Will do a little more research although this product looks like the best solution so far and I could set it up in our office window which faces our shed.

I have always used Ubiquity products to extend my WIFI to my shop. Last house was 75ft and the new place is 100+ft. Once set up, they work flawlessly. Range is a couple of miles.

Ubiquiti is rock solid, it's what I use and I'm a professional ;)

I have Unifi networks at both homes, and have designed and built commercial networks with their equipment. Enterprise quality for just a little more than homeowner pricing, easy set-up and management, and no licensing fees.

John

After a little more research I'm sold on a NanoStation M2 as it looks fairly easy to setup and I can mount it in my window facing my shed. So thanks a lot to 7milesup and matthewsx!

Ubiquiti is rock solid, it's what I use and I'm a professional ;)

Hi John,

As a retired IT programmer I sure do miss having some tech people around to help steer me in the right direction for PC purchases. Or maybe what to stay away from. So if you are up to it what brand/model of small form PC could you recommend for my non-climate controlled shed/shop for internet access, no gaming or intense video card requirements, and 256GD SSD is all I need if that much. Basically something along the below requirements and around $200.
16GB DDR4 Ram
256GB Solid State SSD
WIFI
VGA/HDMI
USB 3.0
Win 10

Thanks,
Harry

first full disclosure. I work for Dell. I was going to suggest you look at Dell Refirb system for good deals but there is no way you will get even a Refirb with those specs for around $200. Good luck

Back