Will a Craftsman QCGB casting fit on an Atlas 10F?

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
According to the manual in our downloads section, the Atlas QCGB casting for a 10F is 10-1580.

I can't quite make out the number on the Craftsman branded casting, but it looks like 15-100 or 16-100. I am probably wrong about this as this is my best interpretation of a grainy photo.

Assuming those numbers are correct, does anyone know if the two different branded castings identical and interchangeable?

Thanks,

On the same note ……………………..will a Logan QCGB fit on a SB 9" ?

The QCGB main casting for the 10" is not at least easily interchangeable with either of the 12" ones. Part numbers for the two 12" ones are L6-1001 and 386-031.

I don't know whether or not one might install a Logan box on an SB lathe but I would guess either no or not easily.

Thanks Cab. My buddy has a SB with change gears and we located a Logan gearbox at that guys shop . I told him I would look into it . Sounds like the answer is NO . :grin: Thanks again .

I would love a QCGB on my Atlas. I think the 10" is the only fit for a 10" lathe, and you will have to modify the end of your lead screw (from what I've read). That means you need the reversing gear assembly, gear box, and gear covers, which is a lot of parts to hunt down. I have watched videos where people claim to be able to fit a 12" gear box on a 10" lathe, but I have not seen it done and don't know what is involved. Sure would be nice to make use of those plentiful 12" QCGBs out there.

The QCGB main casting for the 10" is not at least easily interchangeable with either of the 12" ones. Part numbers for the two 12" ones are L6-1001 and 386-031.

I don't know whether or not one might install a Logan box on an SB lathe but I would guess either no or not easily.
OK, now that you have subliminally suggested the part numbers, I can make them out. The casting I'm looking at is L6-1001. So that's that.

Thanks for the information and clarification.

I am in the process of doing this right now The QCGB attachment was a cheap find in eBay compared to $564.00 and $525.00 I got the drawing for the tumbler from the good folks at Clausing Industries. I cony have to drill and tap 2 5/16 hole to mount the gear box, according to the instructions there is no need to change or modify the lead screw. I had to make some repairs to the gear box that I purchased but it came out well.
Heres a few photos of the QCGB undergoing repairs. Also check Keith Ruckers web site for additional info about installing a QCGB to a 10 F lathe.
dgehricke

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 28
I was writing the below while dgericke was writing the above. My comments were WRT vtcnc's post. I'm not sure which of the three models dgericke's box is.

OK. That is the earliest one, for the 3/8" bed 12". Same as what came with the 101.27430 and 440.

One basic difference betweenall 12" and all 10" is that all of the 12" have a tumbler-style reversing mechanism and all 10" have a reversing gear box. So the 12" GB doesn't include a tumbler nor a means to attach it. The additional inch of height on the 12" separates what is called the Stud Gear on the 10" from the spindle and it's 32T gear. You could probably physically mount a 12" tumbler onto a 10" but the 32T/16T compound would already be meshed with the spindle gear. So that if you lifted or lowered the tumbler arm and were able to mesh the smaller FWD or REV gear with the spindle gear, the spindle would be locked.

As the QCGB occupies the same general space as the FWD-REV gearbox on the change gear 10", you can't keep it on the machine. That's most likely why the home built gear box that was recently the subject of a thread was entirely to the left of the headstock.

Another basic difference between the 10" and the 12" is that the main mounting bolts and tapped holes for whatever is there in front of the headstock are horizontal on the 12" and vertical on the 10".

On the part number subject, most 12" parts that are equivalent to similar 10" parts but which are somehow different begin with the letter "L" followed by a single digit and then a hyphen. On some of the exploded view drawings, the horizontal bar at the base of the letter "L" is very short and the character is easily mistaken for a numeral "1". I don't know who to blame other than the Draftsman who drew it. On earlier drawings where the digit may be a 2, 3, 4, or 5, this doesn't seem to be an issue. But it would be easy to read L6-1001 as 16-1001 if you didn't already know better.

Last edited:
Bob, its a 1600 all cast iron box I'm hopping it fits if not I can always sell lt on eBay I thanks for the input.
Regards
dgehricke

Dgehricke, how did you attach those pieces to the handles? I have 2 broken ones too.

Back