Will a Craftsman QCGB casting fit on an Atlas 10F?

Does anybody have the 10-1586 drawing before I call Clausing?

vtcnc,
What is it ? I may have it, but I don't list the items I have by the numbers that clausing uses.
dgehricke

vtcnc,
What is it ? I may have it, but I don't list the items I have by the numbers that clausing uses.
dgehricke
Its the gear change lever used on the 6800 (10") QCGB. If you have the print, it should say 10-1586 in the title of the drawing.

Thats the one I don't have I spoke to Ron at ext 233 at clausing and he told me he would research this item and let me know.
I'll probably have to call him again. There are 2 different lengths of arms I got one off eBay ( the short one ) with the 2 gears 20TPI and 24TPI I have 2 compound gears mounting the shorter is difficult with no photos or drawings.
I did get from Ron drawing #10-1502 10-1248 and 10-1273 The drawing of the reverse tumbler is very light when printed so I'm struggling making out the measurements. I made mine from a piece of ¾ " 6061 alum and I hope to get it completed in the next couple of days.
I'll attach the 3 drawings so you can pick and choose what you want.
regards
dgehricke

Attachments

• 10-1502 Reverse Tumbler Hanger copy.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 10-1248 Rev. Index Plate copy.pdf
    156.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 10-1273 Template copy.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 8
I/we don't. What you may run into with Clausing is that they may still have some 10-1586's in stock for sale. In which case they won't release the drawing.

There are in fact two different selector arms use among the five different QCGB;s that Atlas made. However, this is the first indication I've seen that they were different lengths. We knew that Atlas 10-1506 Selector Arm was used on the Atlas 1500 (and 1570, which differed only in having a template for drilling a hole in the 10D and earlier headstocks). And 10-1586 was used on the later Atlas 6800 and all three of the QDGB's for the various 12" machines. We know or at least assume from the design that 10-1506 was Zamak and that 10-1586 was cast iron. There also exists a photo in the first parts manual on the Craftsman 12" QCGB that shows what can only be a Zamak part. But the same document also shows the arm as being 10-1586 and the drawing as opposed to the photograph shows the flat sided cast iron version.

Most of the parts, other than the main castings, are the same in all five versions (or seven, if you count the parallel Atlas part numbers for the two versions used on the Atlas model numbers of the later 12" lathes). This would tend to imply that the two arm part numbers are physically interchangeable.

There are in fact two different selector arms use among the five different QCGB;s that Atlas made. However, this is the first indication I've seen that they were different lengths. We knew that Atlas 10-1506 Selector Arm was used on the Atlas 1500 (and 1570, which differed only in having a template for drilling a hole in the 10D and earlier headstocks). And 10-1586 was used on the later Atlas 6800 and all three of the QDGB's for the various 12" machines. We know or at least assume from the design that 10-1506 was Zamak and that 10-1586 was cast iron. There also exists a photo in the first parts manual on the Craftsman 12" QCGB that shows what can only be a Zamak part. But the same document also shows the arm as being 10-1586 and the drawing as opposed to the photograph shows the flat sided cast iron version.

Most of the parts, other than the main castings, are the same in all five versions (or seven, if you count the parallel Atlas part numbers for the two versions used on the Atlas model numbers of the later 12" lathes). This would tend to imply that the two arm part numbers are physically interchangeable.
Called Clausing yesterday and asked for pricing on the 10-1586. $173 and in stock. When I asked if that was for a pair, there was a slight delay in the response... :)

Well, that doesn't surprise me. Just yesterday, I discovered that the price of most pieces of the old "MS" connectors us over $25.00. And that is for ones made by the thousands in China. At the end of WW-II, US made ones were under $1. Price the cost of the equivalent part for several other brands and I'd bet you would get similar numbers for US made ones.

What is an MS connector?

I/we don't. What you may run into with Clausing is that they may still have some 10-1586's in stock for sale. In which case they won't release the drawing.
That's what they told me on the phone.

Back