Will I Have A Job Tomorrow??

What I left off is dignity. Many think that dignity should only be awarded to others that meet the expectations of their judgment. Basic human dignity is critical, and I want no part in a society that thinks it must be earned. Just look at how irritable and vocal people get when stuck in line at the grocery store when the person in front hassles with paying in food stamps. Then the one doing the complaining waddles (not from injury but obesity) out to the handicap space nearest the entrance and drives off with a scowl. It blows the mind! Employers can dignify workers with benefits to prevent them from being sunk by a minor or major life event. It's the dignified thing to do.

There's a channels on Reddit devoted to pro mechanics working on cars. You can see examples of the BS that mechanics have to put up with as a result of the design of the vehicle. These guys don't have it much easier than we do working in the garage.
I mentioned before somewhere that I watched a documentary on how cars are designed and built, and basically someone creates a pretty design, and then the engineers are told what they have to cram into it. No wonder you can't service a car these days.

What I left off is dignity. Many think that dignity should only be awarded to others that meet the expectations of their judgment. Basic human dignity is critical, and I want no part in a society that thinks it must be earned. Just look at how irritable and vocal people get when stuck in line at the grocery store when the person in front hassles with paying in food stamps. Then the one doing the complaining waddles (not from injury but obesity) out to the handicap space nearest the entrance and drives off with a scowl. It blows the mind! Employers can dignify workers with benefits to prevent them from being sunk by a minor or major life event. It's the dignified thing to do.
Interesting angle “dignity”. As the only country in the industrialized world that doesn’t have guaranteed medical care, dignity is a fleeting thing as it can go away with one medical diagnoses. The overwhelming reason for bankruptcy is medical bills.
  • n.
    The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
  • n.
    Inherent nobility and worth.
Add to this most of us equate having a job with inherent worth. I know I always felt that way. But out of the 9 places I worked only one had limited medical. It’s been programmed into me to see meds as part of the reason to put up with a crappy job. That’s what kept me in the last place even though the pay was totally lacking in dignity compared to my qualifications. I can only wonder what “work” would be like if we had universal healthcare.

The OP was already working at home in his own shop. I would think if the company wanted to get the job done right they would have to contact him anyway. He would be free to bid the job at a rate that would reflect his worth in knowledge and investment in equipment. And if it was worth it take the job or tell them go away.

He would be free to bid the job at a rate that would reflect his worth in knowledge and investment in equipment.
There is a huge difference inbeing able to bid a job to reflect those things and getting the job.
As a one man shop I set goals. One was to have a certain amount of $ made every day. If things didn't go as hoped I had to work late. I still - usually went home having made my $ goal but it may have taken an extra 3 hours. When I was an employer and I had to pay an employee for those extra 3 hours, perhaps as over time, or the next day. I would lose money on that job. The employee met his goal, I didn't.

Back