Will I Have A Job Tomorrow??

Well first off, I hope that you didn't have an owner change, that instead, the company where you work had a management change!

I'm nearing retirement age and have learned to put zero weight on the management statement that nothing is changing. Management wants control, and the way they do that is to assure everyone that everything is fine. THEY want to be the ones to lay off people; they do NOT want employees thinking for themselves and being proactive. Case in point, most companies state up front that they are "employment at will" meaning that they can lay you off with zero notice. You, on the other hand, are to give weeks (if not months) notice if you plan to leave.

So, yes, do your resume, as it's a nice touch of reality to see how the market is doing and see what you're worth elsewhere. This isn't necessarily a bad thing either way.

@Buffalo21
Since I don't know what business your employer is/was in or your position on the org chart, I can't comment beyond the previous replies.

Except, don't rely on anything the new owners say unless it comes with a promotion and appropriate pay.

Float your resume around and see what the market will bear.

I can understand the fact that they wanted the owner to leave right away. The last company I worked for, was of the mindset that when an employee gave his/her two week notice, they would pay them three weeks pay, plus any accrued benefits, and say thanks. I have seen departing employees drag down, and even hurt things as they are leaving. I can imagine the same has happened with old owners. Not saying anything about this situation, only that I can understand the thinking.

Deciding to move on is hard, one never wants to feel like they are starting over, especially after working their way up in one company for awhile. Try to keep positive, and keep the meeting on the right foot, but also do not let them steam roll you into a place where you are not comfortable. Try to do your research on the new owners, and maybe you can have an advantage for the meeting.

:beer: Heres to a good report on Tuesday night.

Actually this is a rare opportunity to show you think like an owner, not a self-centered employee. Make good suggestions on increasing revenue, lowering costs. Point out any inefficiencies, and what could be done to improve that.

Too many people seem to think it’s a good idea to be suspicious, maybe to act like you’re irreplaceable, how maybe you’ll walk if there’s anything you don’t like. Of course you can do or be any of these things...just keep it to yourself.

Change is inevitable in all companies and I live thru it everyday . I try to focus on what they pay me to do , not on everything else going on around me . I tell them the truthful facts whether they like them or not which leads to some very heated discussions , but hey , I'm the eyes and ears " on the floor " . Managers can't operate staring at charts and diagrams alone , they have to know and realize where the roots of the issues lie .

@Buffalo21

From what I have seen here:
1) you are a very talented and experienced person
2) you are willing to put in the hours and effort required to get the job done right

If the new company is any good, they already know the above and you have nothing to worry about.
If the new company isn't any good, then you do not want to work there anyway.

Someone with your skills and attitude should be fine either way.

-brino
These circumstances can be intimidating, but keep your head up! With your experience and expertise you'll land on your feet no matter what the outcome.

In my opinion you hold a number of aces in your hand. Tuesday may very well be an opportunity for you to question them. Of course keep it concise and professional, but be sure you emphasize what you value in an employer and that you have expectations too!

I can understand the fact that they wanted the owner to leave right away. The last company I worked for, was of the mindset that when an employee gave his/her two week notice, they would pay them three weeks pay, plus any accrued benefits, and say thanks. I have seen departing employees drag down, and even hurt things as they are leaving. I can imagine the same has happened with old owners. Not saying anything about this situation, only that I can understand the thinking.
I was a VP at a small company for a few years. When we let someone go, it was immediately. We paid them for at least two weeks but they were out the door in a matter of an hour. A released employee can have a very toxic effect on the rest of the employees along with possible issues regarding company property.

Something I have learned over the years of being employed by other companies is they keep their best interests in mind, and you are replaceable at the drop of a hat. In the long run all they do is use your talent to make them rich. I worked for a company for over 10 years till one morning I was woke by a text message in the morning to hang tight and wait till I get a phone call before heading into the field for the day. A hour later my phone rang and was told they were downsizing again and I was out of work..... So after 10 years of loyal and dedicated service to the company it was all over by them by a text message pretty much........

But in saying that I am taking on a few ventures on my own now, and don't think I would of ever tried to do that if I was still employed at my previous job. Is it scary trying something new at my age with a whole family to support? Heck yes it is, but I would rather try my damnedest at it then base my whole families lively hood on a employer. If I make a bad mistake and loose my shirt in my ventures, that was my fault, I am the only one to blame. If my employer makes a bad business decision its not my fault, I have no say over it and I will be the one let go. Not the owner of the business, in a sense my family is getting punished for something we have no control over. So in saying that I would rather be responsible for my vision, how I want to run things, and of course be able to make money. I won't be no millionaire thats for sure, it will be hard and there will be set backs I know but when I get it down theres no stopping me....

Back