Will I Have A Job Tomorrow??

Have a look at this...

Techs in the bay area would never work for only $130,000 a year.
40% increase year over year home values.
Sound familiar?
There was a bubble that burst back in 2008. It's gonna happen again.

Case in point, most companies state up front that they are "employment at will" meaning that they can lay you off with zero notice. You, on the other hand, are to give weeks (if not months) notice if you plan to leave. Happens all the time, make decision, follow through or not, just don't demonstrate or convey for effect.
So, yes, do your resume, as it's a nice touch of reality to see how the market is doing and see what you're worth elsewhere. This isn't necessarily a bad thing either way. I believe in this, not the version 'professional' resume writers pitch. Ever meet one who knew a planer from a boring mill?

Actually this is a rare opportunity to show you think like an owner, not a self-centered employee. Make good suggestions on increasing revenue, lowering costs. Point out any inefficiencies, and what could be done to improve that. Disagree somewhat here, don't make them. Hint what you have, ask "What's it worth?".
Too many people seem to think it’s a good idea to be suspicious, maybe to act like you’re irreplaceable, how maybe you’ll walk if there’s anything you don’t like. Of course you can do or be any of these things...just keep it to yourself. 110%! No union needed.
Read through entire 4 page thread. Truths in every post; those above kicked it off, all rang in to reinforce those. Here's mine;
I perused job-specific ads on a near daily basis. Knew opportunities in a very up-to-date manner. Didn't matter when that changed from print to internet, my resume was always on some desk somewhere, with whatever caveat fit "selling my house, I know welding too, relocating to tend elderly parents, fiancee has new job, company was sold, planning retirement, fed-up with corporate BS, want to live closer to outdoor recreation....".
Maybe 3 places in 50+ years, I had their back 100%. One was USN, 26 years worth. Most just OK to work at, some barely. When I'd had my fill, it was new to them, kept whatever plans to myself.
When they'd hint of adverse change, I was ready - company meeting, one on one, out on the floor..."Watch me; I'll show what these keys are for". Some would talk me out of it, at a cost; that's what compensation means. Compensation comes in many forms.
A good friend still is where we both worked, a selfish filthy owner-operator tool room. They spend hours, MANY hours, tuning what ever recreation gear for upcoming season, all year long. 2-1/3 guys generating all the receivables to support 6 full timers. But the friend can't get an hour off-clock here and there (or keys for a Saturday) to build a fixture to trim cymbals with edge splitting. He is a professional musician with a day job and good machinist. There are machines I offered good cash for NO one uses, Thompson grinder, M&M keyseater, Robot grinder, die filer, restroom lockers; no dice. I equate that as compensation too, great unappreciated iron that would help me.
Finally, non-comp agreements. Talk about insecurity complexes. Or is it extortion? Yeah, while I'm there. Sign it, cover your tracks. "I saw it on the internet...". Make proving it cost them up the wazoo.
Once, they kept final check. I wouldn't sign on exit, my box was already out the door, rolled her in elsewhere by weeks end. There is no tool in my box, no memory or design in my head, not put there myself.

Last edited:
And then some.
It's more than wrenching a car. There are electronics in every component these days. You want to flush your brake fluid? You have to engage the vehicles chassis module to allow for the actuators to work to allow for the fluid to drain through the anti-skid modules.
Engine and transmission electronics are so complex, you really need to be smart to do this right.
If you are just busting tires, changing brakes, shocks, suspension components then that's still old school.
Electric mirrors, variable rate wipers, even cruise control has electronic modules.
A hack would plug into the data link, pull a code that directs you to a bad sensor. That doesn't mean the sensor is bad, it just gives you a place to start.
There are very few diagnosticians in this business. many shops only have one. he/she diagnoses the issue then it goes to a parts replacer.
Sorry, I do go on.
I had a call yesterday from a dealer in the wine country. He just got audited by Ford. He asked me how we recruit techs and how we keep them.
We had a long conversation.
We are flat rate, they are hourly.
That's why when I buy a car, I always buy the base model with the least electronic content I can. Too much stuff to fail out in the future,
and we keep our cars a long time so it will be an issue. You can't escape it though: After 10 years the battery in my car failed and I
discovered that a battery change includes reprogramming a ************* computer so the alternator and battery can play nicely together.
This is simply idiotic, unless you only drive your car within a 20 mile radius of a dealer.

My truck which I bought new in '16 has no electric windows, no electric locks, as basic as I could find. My bane is electronics, I'm a mechanical kinda guy. My favorite car was my pre 68 VW's. Even as simple as they were the majority of owners didn't work on them. The wiring harness was nothing. They were transportation, plain and simple. In contrast I bought a 75 Rabbit as the aircools went away. The crazy thing had like 30 some odd fuses! The silly carburetor had linkage that would wear out in 6,000mi! They flipped the whole idea and made it stupid to work on, and even the dealer was hard pressed to keep up. Too many times this complication has bit them on the a$$ when the electronics are so complicated even the dealer can't fix them when they get bugs. It's the main reason I got out because it's not just expertise, I could only take so much irritation. Always having to be an apologist/whipping boy for stupid designs I had no input on. I was better at navigating that mine field working for the last co because I became part of R&D working with the engineers. Then seagull managers came in. You know the folks who come in, squawk and doodoo all over everything and leave the mess for us to clean up.

Disagree about the union statement above.
I worked for a Warren Buffet company. Like most investors, he wanted to squeeze the last dime out of his employees. Anything you may have heard about him treating his employees well is BS. In 2003 or early '04 we were part of the Teamsters; a completely worthless union. We formed our own in house union. Company said they could not pay us more (I was making a measly $54K as a Captain on a business jet). Let me say that I was not motivated to make that whole company work out and I was in the STFD camp with all my might. It was horrible. Pilots against management. Pilots against schedulers.
Dec. of '05, with our new union in place for over 1.5yrs at that point, the company all of a sudden saw the light. They were going to go broke without the pilots help. Literally overnight my pay went from $54 to mid $90's. Still not great but heading in the right direction. And guess what... 2006 was the most profitable year the company had had up until that point. No chit.
If I was still there I would be very close to $200k. Even back then I had full health coverage for the family. Didn't cost me a dime. 50% match on our 401k. Vision, dental, vacation. Turned out to be a nice gig. Company is still making big money. Imagine that. Without the union, none of that would have happened.
I hope the Amazon people stick it to Bezos like no other. The only way these companies are going to pay living wages is if there is concerted effort from the employees.

That's why when I buy a car, I always buy the base model with the least electronic content I can. Too much stuff to fail out in the future,
and we keep our cars a long time so it will be an issue. You can't escape it though: After 10 years the battery in my car failed and I
discovered that a battery change includes reprogramming a ************* computer so the alternator and battery can play nicely together.
This is simply idiotic, unless you only drive your car within a 20 mile radius of a dealer.
When we bought our last car (Volt), they told us there were 50 CPU's in it. I don't care anymore, did all my repairs for decades, now I'm gonna just enjoy the car and no gas stations (well once a year maybe lol)

Sound familiar?
Insanity in Canada right now, Vancouver and Toronto areas selling at $500,000 over asking, fixer upper in Vancouver is pushing 1.7M - I'm tempted to sell and buy back in a year for 30-40% less.

I’m looking at doing the lower control arm on my 2004 Cadillac SRX. Have the feeling I’m gonna wish it was electronics;)

I live in a place where mortgages are way above what I could afford if I was starting out.

When I was running my shop in Michigan there were almost no auto techs to be found. The one I had came to me but only part time because he had another gig. He has his own shop now....

Sound familiar?
Not quite; 2008 was engineered, mis-engineered yes, but engineered all the same. Next IS imminent, really just a correction to overvaluation by combined market; owners/ realtors, but the real culprit are buyers. Any one in a recent transaction is going to get bit.

I rent out two houses, way under market, encouraging tenants saving to ride over the next bubble, eventually as buyer instead of renter. They are too young to understand and go bats**t crazy for toys. So I get loooo-ng term residents making my mortgage, insurance and tax payments, and write off remainder.
Only way you can buy karma......beside exceptional posts in forums like these?

I know the split exists about unions. I try to be respectful of both sides, but definitely no fan. Can't think of any absolutely critical outside of miners. The ne plus ultra union is an individual; assertive, proactive and willing to stand out not just up. If they haven't what you want, go down the road. A broad resume is the killer trump card.

Last edited:
Back