Will I Have A Job Tomorrow??

My resume is only as broad as I want it to be for any particular job. I made my choice to not be union many, many years ago; maybe the right one or maybe not, I married well and at least some of the decisions we made worked out well.

Got hit with real estate in 2008 in Arizona (had a nice shop there) and it took another 11 years to work it out but now I'm happy with the outcome. Sure it would have been nice to not loose what we did but at least we learned the lesson.

Real Estate works on hype, stock market too. But at the end of the day you can live in a house, Mutual Fund not so much.

John

The aviation industry is probably one of the worst when it comes to jumping ship. Unlike nearly every other profession (doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc), when you jump from one airline to another, you start at the bottom. The companies look at your flight hours and ratings and you get to sit in the right seat for the next 10+ years. The only way around that is to go into corporate flying. Then you might be able to work into management $$$. BUT, as soon as there is a downturn in the economy, the first thing to go when the investors are not happy is that shiny white jet in the shiny white hangar.

EDIT: As I mentioned earlier, we were Teamsters. A garbage union. So we formed our own which has become a model of aviation unions. So, it is possible to stand up for yourself by making a union what you want it to be. It seems to be lost on folks that the 40 hour workweek, holiday pay, 5 day workweek and a myriad of other "perks" that people take for granted are only because of unions.

When we bought our last car (Volt), they told us there were 50 CPU's in it.

Yeah but they believe it's a selling feature!

For me it a warning.

-brino

Any modern car has many systems and thus CPUs on board. Mechanically most things are the same as any pre computer car. It is the control systems are getting more complex. Same as comparing a early 172 Cessna to a 787. What I was amazed at, my neighbor had a 200? Ram 1500 pickup which the voltage regulator failed and it cost $1500 to fix, where my ‘69 Chevelle the regulator was about $20!
Pierre

200? Ram 1500 pickup which the voltage regulator failed and it cost $1500 to fix, where my ‘69 Chevelle the regulator was about $20!
Pierre
Reference the $130k+ tech compensation above. LOL

I am a 28 year union worker. We are currently going through contract negotiations. I work at a factory that builds refrigerated food service equipment. They drew out the covid card last year to get all the government money they could muster, literally millions of dollars. Now during the negotiations they want to literally rape our rights of our current contract. Occasionally you will hear someone complain about paying union dues. My response is, do you think you would have any of your paid vacation days, holidays and all the other perks of this job? There are definitely 2 sides to this.
Joe

My truck which I bought new in '16 has no electric windows, no electric locks, as basic as I could find. My bane is electronics, I'm a mechanical kinda guy. My favorite car was my pre 68 VW's. Even as simple as they were the majority of owners didn't work on them. The wiring harness was nothing. They were transportation, plain and simple. In contrast I bought a 75 Rabbit as the aircools went away. The crazy thing had like 30 some odd fuses! The silly carburetor had linkage that would wear out in 6,000mi! They flipped the whole idea and made it stupid to work on, and even the dealer was hard pressed to keep up. Too many times this complication has bit them on the a$$ when the electronics are so complicated even the dealer can't fix them when they get bugs. It's the main reason I got out because it's not just expertise, I could only take so much irritation. Always having to be an apologist/whipping boy for stupid designs I had no input on. I was better at navigating that mine field working for the last co because I became part of R&D working with the engineers. Then seagull managers came in. You know the folks who come in, squawk and doodoo all over everything and leave the mess for us to clean up.
I grew up in a family of air-cooled VW owners: my Dad, my Brother and I all had them. In the 70's I bought one of those Rabbits and it
was the worst car I've ever owned. Absolute piece of junk, and it was too bad because I liked the way it drove. The air cooled. cars
were well made, but somehow VW forgot that quality matters when they designed the water cooled cars.

Back