Will I Have A Job Tomorrow??

Teachers here in the US start at around $35. Last I heard only admins make 100k. Have to fight constantly for fair benefits. Put in as many hours at night as they did in class. Even buy materials that used to be supplied but now aren’t. Most don’t make more than 2yrs because it’s so hard. At least now mechanic can make a fair wage. That’s more than I can say for our teachers.

Friend was teaching in a public school 30 years ago for 12K in Buffalo NY, while another was teaching in Northern Ontario making 65K. Even with the dollar exchange it was still a huge difference! Depends where you are for what the pay is. Big city is more likely to pay more verses the small town in the middle of nowhere.
Pierre

A very long time ago I was a member of the Teamsters, for a short time. Everything worked on the bribe system. Want to get out of the hiring hall? Give the guy at the desk $100. Work stoppages constantly. If you worked too fast you were warned about what kind of accidents happen to people that do that.

My Dad was a Teamster for 40yrs. When he retired they broke the Union and everybody lost all benefits and no pension. Not even 401k. And went to straight commission with no base pay. My Dad never made great $$ but we had good medical for the whole family that paid for my mom extensive cancer bills and left him very comfortable in his remaining years until he passed last May. He never wanted for anything.

he always told me your union is only as good as your shop steward. He helped pull strings for me to be hired as a customer mechanic up in Yosemite. Only the mechanic, buss drivers and maintenance were Teamsters. Everybody else was AFLCIO. Now there’s a joke. They made min wage, and the steward was a puppet of the of Curry Co. No benefits, nada. Meanwhile we made twice min and got medical and dental. Dues weren’t bad. We had a great shop steward. Benjamin Franklin, a man from the streets of Oakland and was well versed in Union rules. He was messed with from all sides and kept everybody in line. RIP Bennie.

Job security? (and why mechanics hate engineers, machinists hate engineers, plumbers hate utility engineers, carpenters hate architects; you get the idea...)

A Designers Poem​

The Designer;

The designer sat at his drafting board
A wealth of knowledge in his head was stored
Like "What can be done on a radial drill
Or a turret lathe or a vertical mill?”

But above all things a knack he had
Of driving gentle machinists mad.
So he mused as he thoughtfully scratched his bean
"Just how can I make this thing hard to machine?

If I make this perfect body straight
The job had ought to come out first rate
But would be so easy to turn and bore
That it would never make a machinist sore

So I'll put a compound taper there
And a couple of angles to make them swear
And brass would work for this little gear
But its too damned easy to work I fear

So just to make the machinist squeal
I'll make him mill it from tungsten steel
And I'll put these holes that hold the cap
Down underneath where they can't be tapped

Now if they can make this it'll just be luck
Cause it can't be held by dog or chuck
And it can't be planed and it cant be ground
So I feel my design is unusually sound.

And he shouted in glee, "Success at last!
This dam thing can't even be cast.

If management were honest and moral there would be no need for unions.
Likely, if not at least better probability.

If management unions were honest and moral, there wouldn't be immense campaign funds unions for liberal politicians.
Both depend on those available lowest common denominators to exist.
Ain't no free lunch...

When a group is paid equally despite unequal skill-set, across the board predictable raises, when all-for-one turns against handful of guys with 9 kids who cannot afford to strike, where a state vote strikes down right to work; who do you think pulls those strings?
That unions campaigned for improvement of conditions that's one thing, conducting legalized extortion entirely different.
There are few ills not the work of lobbyists, lawyers, and politicians. Good work for witless toads that can't get a real job.

Everybody should be entitled to health coverage, pension, and paid time off. I worked hard half my life without it while the business owners got bigger houses, better boats, and sent their kids to college. And some still insist our nation doesn’t have a caste system. Our homeless camps look like the slums of Mumbai, while CEOs are worth hundreds of bIllions of dollars, and got that way in 20 years. And some think unions are the blood suckers? Please.

I have many opinions here but shall refrain because this place has rules and I will choose to follow them.

I have been both a worker and a business owner (who also worked) and understand how people can be passionate about their roles in making this whole thing hum.

Yes, great nations should treat their people with compassion and provide for those truly in need. I think I might have read that in a book somewhere....

John

"Everybody should be entitled to health coverage, pension, and paid time off."
I think you left off one of the most important ones.
Food, everyone should be entitled to be provided with good food. At least a $250 per week grocery charge card.

When I got called to jury duty, we were told our employers had to continue paying us for that time. I was self employed.
My employer refused, just like for paid time off, health insurance and pension. Cheap bastard.

Back