Will I lose my screwed on chuck if I convert my lathe motor to reverse?

I found many references to metric vs SAE threads. Using google books I did a search for "Chasing metric threads with inch thread lead screws", there is an article by one of the trade magazines. I got a lot of hits.

Moving a bit away from the original question but related to the threading and half nuts discussion. One should also look at dog clutch. Gadgetbuilder's mini lathe website has a page on this topic and a more recent article on modelengineeringwebsite.com has a build for the common Grizzly and others Asian lathe products.
Pierre

Last edited:
Yes, I am thinking my only use would for be metric threading, I suppose it would be safe using collets (which I don't have) so most likely too much bother, as I have a crank that I put on the lead screw if I need to thread metric.

The more experienced ones amongst you may have noticed the onset of brain fade in the last bit of my post....:nuts:

I made that crank for my first Atlas so I could traverse the carriage when the rack gear case was broken, of course it would not work for metric threading (which I haven't tried yet) the crank would have to be on the back of the spindle!

sorry if this caused any confusion...

Bernard

I have a three phase motor on my lathe which works fine for a break,I always jam the chuck while screwing it on and have had no loosening problems. Just saying!

Jedel,

I always snap my chucks the last quarter to eighth of a turn while tightening. And have a heavy duty 3/4 HP motor on the machine (instant start for sure). I've never had a chuck come loose when reversing. However, I still wouldn't risk cutting in reverse.

Robert D.

I do run by lathe in reverse when boring to a shoulder.:yikes: Just take lighter cuts and be carfull. Never had the chuck come lose. I do have my back plate drilled for a spanner wrench so it is on tight.

NO Old wives looking for a tail to chase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do it all the time with my Logan.

Back