will this qctp fit a 10f?

What he said - you need to be able to rotate the QCTP.

When I ground down mine I made sure the toolpost would rotate 360 degrees. In other words, I cut back far enough that the corner would not hit the lip of the hump. This eliminated any future issue with alignment if you need a funny angle of compound and QCTP...nothing like being in the middle of a sequence of operations and having to stop and grind on your machine!

Thanks guys , I had originally intended to get the base of the QCTP ground back a tad, but on reflection realised it would make the foot print of the QCTP smaller and that could upset the fantastic rigidity that the bigger base QCTP gives .

So , I've been contemplating.........was enough there meat for me to make a full QCTP rotation grind out ?

I must confess until I read this thread I've not thought of using my drill press and a high speed CTC woodwork router cutter to dry mill and mill off the unwanted metal. But as it is very soft cast iron I'll give it a whirl dry , on a slower speed and also make the removal a few thou deeper than needed . This is to give a permanent clearance as I can't stand at the bench and file accurately these days due to an end of life spinal problem over taking me.

Does any one foresee any probs milling off a few thou at a time dry or should I go for the can of WD40 method ?

Last edited:
I would go for the can of WD40 method. Also, do you have an X-Y table and vise on your drill press? If not, are you able to position the drill press over and under the lathe so that you can use the lathe's cross feed to move the work relative to the cutter?

Back