Will This Taper Attachment Fit My Logan 200?

I guess if mrpete222 had the factory 2 piece version he would not have needed to make one! Below
is the image that Susan posted in the other thread about the same lathe. I have also seen other 2 piece
versions on Ebay in the past but I believe they had a slot rather than the multiple holes. This may be
shop made like mrpete's.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/5659864921-jpg.281805/
5659864921-jpg.281805

I have an older Logan catalog in front of me and though the picture is a bit small, that attachment looks exactly like
it. The 10" machines are shown as having two part numbers, depending on the s/n of the lathe. They are AC-225
and AC-298. Susan, are there any part numbers on that attachment?

That is an old flat belt drive and does not have a quick change gear box. IMO it’s not worth the effort to keep, sorry. I realize you have 0 into it. That is where I would stop with it. The bullet vise has value even with missing the base and worn jaws, but not the lathe. Sorry, wish I had better news, may three cents…Dave

PS: the lathe legs have value!

Careful, you're messin' with Logan folks on their own sub-forum... The Logan 200 is a basic lathe for sure, but they were
well made and because Logan still supplies parts, pretty easy to support. If Susan's lathe isn't worn out, it's still a useful
machine. And, what's wrong with flat belts? They're easier and faster to change than a v-belt.

DSCF7284.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see from my pic to the left, the 820 is one nice lathe. In a previous post you can see just how ugly mine looked when I picked it up and just how sweet it was when I completed the restoration. I have found 3 of the correct 5 parts for an original Logan taper attachment. I have both ends and have just recently found the cross slide cover. It is one solid piece. I need only the bar and the part that slides across the bar when locked down.

Mine has been converted to use an automotive serpentine belt... I do like that...

I guess ith way I look at it you can either have 2 vises, one of which you'll probably never use. Or, 1 bullet vise and a taper attachment which you'll probably never use.

For the number of times you'll use the taper attachment you might be better off to put the money into different tooling and use a boring head in the tailstock. In over 30 years in a machine shop I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use a taper attachment. Short tapers can be accomplished using the compound. Longer tapers can be made by off setting the tailstock or using a boring head in the tailstock. Neither of my current lathes have a taper attachment, and I can't see investing in one.

As for the flat belt not being desirable, I would disagree. It may not have the monetary value of a gear driven or V belt driven machine, but that doesn't mean it's not capable of making quality parts. Personally I invest in machines that have the capability of producing the parts I want to make. I don't invest in them because they are trendy or for their potential future resale value. One of my lathes is flat belt driven with change gears for threading. It doesn't even have a thread dial, but I've made hundreds if not thousands of threaded parts without any problems. If you can read the chart and the numbers on the gears it doesn't take long to make a setup. Keep in mind this machine is going to be used in a hobby shop, not a production situation where time is money.

I will admit flipping a couple levers to change thread pitch is a bit easier, but in my case the change gear machine and the gear box machine have different thread pitch capabilities. The change gear one can do some 1/2 tpi threads that the gear box machine is incapable of, and likewise the gear box machine can produce a number of threads the gear change machine is incapable of. Between the 2 machines they can put out 65 different thread pitches from 3 tpi to 240 tpi.

Back