Will this work to fit a barrel?

I know what Barnes says... It's why most of my crew tried Barnes and moved on... By excessive jump, I mean no more than .005 jump. I moved to Berger bullets in their VLD flavour for my 6.5mm, and got better results.

Barnes makes sense for a hunter. I'm more of a prone/palma/highpower guy, so I use 105 gr Bergers out to 1,000 in 6mm with a 30" 8-twist tube.

I would not discount factory barrels just for shooting badly out of the box. I like to cut new crowns and lap the bores, then load +/- .005 to the lands. I have a couple of varminter Rem 700s that shoot 3/4" all day after this treatment, better than the 1.5" deer mutilators they were sold as. Any tighter than that requires full action work and a boutique barrel.

Then you already know all you need to know! I'm just a recreational shooter. Matches are just too much bother here, and now that I have the time I let my memberships all lapse, for personal reasons - so not comp any more at all.

I shoot a 6.5 X 47 Lapua, using 151gr Berger at 3050 fps in a Sergeon action with a Hart Comp barrel in an Accuracy International Chassis. Chambered it for a 2 tenths press fit with the bolt closed, .010 jump to the lands. The Berger is a VLD bullet with a long profile, so the .010 jump seems to give the best accuracy.

I've done ballistic gel tests and the Bergers would work fine on game, and they are now advertising a hybrid VLD hunting bulletin 87gr which should be a fairly close match to the load you are using... jus' sayin'

there is a chance that by just recrowning te barrel end acuracy aproves a lot? Try that first,what do you have to loose?

Yeah, may as well try a recrown, what is another 10 rounds of ammo to test. The blast/fouling pattern has been uniform which is generally indicative of a good crown...so I never messed with it.

I am good from sandbags to around .75"...several AR's with match barrels, plus a Rem SPS M700 and a Win M70 with a factory barrel, and for sure at least 1/4 MOA of that is me. This one rifle has thus far eluded that level of consistency I get from my other rifles. Is it just a great field gun and I really want it to perform...even if it means a rebarrel. I have also had decent luck with firelapping a rough barrel but this factory barrel does not have the tooling marks I found in that pig... Sometimes the fun is in the journey! Now if I can just get some time off from work to get into the shop...grrr

This sounds like a good rifle to accurize. You could do the whole job on your lathe. I wouldn't thread a new barrel onto a factory action without truing, at minimum.
8a709096a58b0e4d9d3f84c5bc2d2c86.jpg
32c5fe91b699e3ff4b45eed7cc3d5919.jpg

e3ee3e82e9ec137625966e39021cc856.jpg

Last edited:
Others have found that the crown itself is not that critical but ANY wear in the muzzle end of the barrel from poor cleaning technique or high round count will have a huge effect on grouping. It does not take much wear to have an effect.
Since you plan to put a new barrel on maybe try something first with your old barrel (that is headed to the scrap pile) by cutting an inch off during the recrowning operation.

The LR target boys generally cut only a 1/2 " to 5/8" off the muzzle and recrown at the same time as removing 1" and rechambering............they claim the exit of boat tail bullets causes erosion at the last 1/4" of the muzzle........generally done every 1000 rounds or so,and extends barrel life greatly with the costly barrels they use.

Back