Wilton 50s Milling Vice

clff_swan

Registered
Registered
  • I purchased a Cinncinati Toolmaster milling machine but have no milling vice. Have come across a wilton 50s vice and am wondering if it is worth picking up. Price is around $200.00 canadian and photos of the vice look like it is in good to fair condition. Are these vices good quality. Is this a fair price or should I save my cash for a newer name brand. I cannot seem to find any info on the 50s model and a search for Wilton vices gives prices from a few hundred to a thousand $$. I would guess that the older vices were US made and probably quality and now the cheap ones are off shore scrap. Which is the 50s.
  • Any info will be appreciated. TIA

The problem you run into is that u have no Idea if it will tram up in your mill. The jaws might look flat until you get an indicator on the vise and then discover you're .010 off.

I have a nice heavy duty ENCO vise made in INDIA that I cant tram any better than .005 and the vise is only 4" wide

SHARS tool has a 4" mill vise for $225 US. That has really good specs (at least in the add)

Im getting it for christmas

Hey Cliff,
IMO; $200 is a little steep, unless it's in like new condition. You may want to consider a mill vise with a swivel base and/or tilt. In my area, a plain, 6" mill vise, with reasonable wear goes for around $100.

BTW: It's cool that you have a Cincinnati Toolmaster. Please post pictures. Also, welcome to the "Cool Kids With Cincinnati Machines" Club. :encourage:

I've got a couple extra vises problem is if your not local to me in Massachusetts shipping costs on these makes it tough. Ones a Brown and Sharpe the other a Bridgeport.

welcome to the "Cool Kids With Cincinnati Machines" Club. :encourage:

In MN $200 is a hot price. If she is square, and not significantly engraved.
Welcome to the Cincy Club! Advise if you need something...

Daryl
MN

A machinist vise is a great thing to have. I've been looking at replacing some of you off brands. 1000 dollars is kinda the new price replacement. 200 is sure a deal. A mill vise is a different thing, the better made the more likely to be really accurate, and will save tons of time in set ups. Kurt, correct me if I am wrong, designed a vise that as you close it it pushes the material and the moveable jaw down. Things clamped are thus encouraged to stay in the same plane. There are many copies of Kurt now. some better than others.....

Tim

I've got a couple extra vises problem is if your not local to me in Massachusetts shipping costs on these makes it tough. Ones a Brown and Sharpe the other a Bridgeport.
Appreciate your offerings but I live in western Canada. Shipping is a killer and our Dollar at 30% discount to yours does not help.. I gave a miss on the Wilton as it looked rusty and beat up. Will keep looking.Thanks all you others for your replies. Every little bit of knowledge is a help when you know nothing.

Cliff

Last edited:
Understood. I've been on the other side of that equation myself.

Back