Wilton Baby Bullet Vise - at auction...

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
From a local estate sale auction around here (10) days ago.
Alas, it didn't follow me home. :grin:
1592852249536.png

OK, maybe someone can explain to me why Wilton vises cost so much. I don't own one so have no experience,
but do they REALLY secure stuff to your work bench that much better than every other vise on the planet?

Yes, they do, and are made of steel or ductile iron, depending on the model, not cheap cast iron, they are nearly industructable, with lots less slop in the working parts.

The USA models are excellent and the round channel design covers the screw and seems to be a closer fit than the square style. The bullet type opens wide and is sturdy but pricey. Parts are available. For some they aren't as sturdy but since I use an anvil for pounding I haven't found them to be too light. Since acme threads have less friction probably a Kurt is better for holding when you absolutely don't want slippage.

OK, maybe someone can explain to me why Wilton vises cost so much. I don't own one so have no experience,
but do they REALLY secure stuff to your work bench that much better than every other vise on the planet?

Not sure if they secure stuff much better but I own two Wilton machinist vises and they are very good - solid, strong and reliable. Of course, this is in comparison to what is on the market today where they are amongst the best available. Yesterday, no, they are not the best. Yesterday, we had Parker vises, and Athol, Prentiss, Columbian, Reed and others. At a time in this country when we had the best vises made, Parker was the top of the line. I have a little 4" Parker vise that weighs around 75# and I would not give that vise up; cost to me was $50.00.

Back