Wilton Bullet Vise

I would have not expected the jaw to crack! Wow... Thank you for sharing the details!

Vise looks great!
hardened and untempered steel is amazingly brittle. I made a pin for the blade on a folding knife once and didn't temper it. Broke it while trying to press it into the knife. Tempered the next one and it's been fine for several years.

I finished machining the second jaw for the green vise this morning...

View attachment 411775

They match pretty well when closed...

View attachment 411776

Now I need to heat treat them.

-Bear

Those jaws look great. I would never have thought that you can make them like you did. Did you have to do anything special for them to mate up so nicely when closed together (I.e do an opposite pattern or something on one of them) or are both jaws exactly the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those jaws look great. I would never have thought that you can make them like you did. Did you have to do anything special for them to mate up so nicely when closed together (I.e do an opposite pattern or something on one of them) or are both jaws exactly the same?

When I made the jaws, I set them up on the mill and made a light mark with a center drill exactly in the center of the jaws. You can see it in this picture...

20220625_170445.jpg

When I set up on the horizontal mill to make the diagonal cuts, I started by using my calibrated eyeball to center the cutter on that mark... then offset the cutter by one half the distance (0.0625") between the diagonal cuts. I zeroed the cutter there, then worked in both directions, making the cuts 0.125" apart.

I then rotated the vise to the same angle the other direction, re-centered the cutter on the mark, offset 0.0625", zeroed the cutter, and made the cuts the other direction.

This made the diagonal cuts line up very closely on both jaws... they are close, but not perfect.

-Bear

When I made the jaws, I set them up on the mill and made a light mark with a center drill exactly in the center of the jaws. You can see it in this picture...

View attachment 415493

When I set up on the horizontal mill to make the diagonal cuts, I started by using my calibrated eyeball to center the cutter on that mark... then offset the cutter by one half the distance (0.0625") between the diagonal cuts. I zeroed the cutter there, then worked in both directions, making the cuts 0.125" apart.

I then rotated the vise to the same angle the other direction, re-centered the cutter on the mark, offset 0.0625", zeroed the cutter, and made the cuts the other direction.

This made the diagonal cuts line up very closely on both jaws... they are close, but not perfect.

-Bear

Really nice. I think that looks great.

Back