Wilton Drill Press

Mikey that makes sense to me. I would like to have all my chucks have the same taper. The only writing on the chuck that came with the drill presses is "R73-16L" Nothing else written on the chuck. I have not yet tried to remove the shank. The top of the taper measures .8125 (13/16) and the bottom is .733 (47/64). From the Jacob taper chart I found online I think that this is a J3 taper. The J3 was the closest to my measurements. Nothing else was even close.

Last edited:
Put a dial indicator on the spindles this morning. There was less than .001 run out on the spindle of both drill presses. The indicator barely moved. Put the chuck on with drill in it and measured just under .002 run out. The run out only occurred at one spot. As I rotated the spindle no run out to speak until I reached one spot and then it jumped to just under .002. Rotate a little further and it dropped back to negligible run out for the rest of the rotation. Might be something on the drill. At my skill level and considering that this is a drill press I think that I am good to go.

Still trying to decide on a drill chuck for the other drill press. I will probably sell one of the drill presses. Don't really have room for two and this is just a hobby. If it takes me longer to make something due to only having one drill press, no big deal. I will go with a J3 taper mount. And I am leaning towards a cheap drill chuck to go with the press I plan to sell. Then when finances allow I will buy a good drill chuck to keep. I need a drill chuck for my lathe and mill/drill. In the mean time I will just swap the drill chuck from the drill press to the lathe or mill depending on where I need to use it. I will buy an extra shank so that one shank is always in the drill press.

Back