Wilton wood vise

dlane

Active User
Registered
Picked this up at a garage sale $15.00 trying to figure out how to mount it. Should the fixed jaw be level or above the bench top ? . 10” jaws
5608FA5F-B044-47BC-A71E-EE84483EA4F5.jpeg
My wood bench front is a 2x6 with 1-1/8” plywood top on it , should I cut a section of the 2x6 out so the jaws are above the top ?
Any one have a pic of how they should be mounted ? .
5DB3EDF1-C1FF-4EFA-B0C4-E3A66BE5C41C.jpeg
Don’t mind the pipe laying on the flange, I guess the standoff behind the mount slots should contact somthing.
I don’t do much wood working anymore but can see it being useful holding stock for
Filling, deburing Any thoughts,comments or ?
Thanks

The jaws are usually set level with the bench top so as not to interfere with work that needs the bench surface, like a tabletop for instance. The little rectangular hole on the top of the moving jaw holds the dog which, when you want to plane something or hold something solid, can be elevated out of its little pocket there to hold work between it and another dog further along the bench top.

-frank

My friend has one, mounted underneath the table, using those 2 mounting slots, as shown on your 2nd picture.

You'll love the vise. I have a similar Wilton model mounted on my work bench. As mentioned above, bolt it to the bottom of the table with lags or carriage bolts into countersunk holes through the top of the bench top (mine is secured with carriage bolts). You may need to make some spacers to flush it up with your bench top. The spacers should go on top of the stand off also so you have 3 points of contact under the bench. Very nice pick up for $15! I've got the faces of my covered with 1/4" masonite. It's my most used vise.

Bruce

1526917097468.png

You stole that, nice score!
As mentioned above, flush with the top to slightly below.

Mounted it under my Shop cart top with locking wheels, didn’t trust the slot and jaw screws in wood to hold it so I mounted it to a 5/16” plate that has a 90* Bend , drilled and taped mounting holes, and the plate is secured to cart with
7 hd lag screws and 2 3/8” carriage bolts , it ain’t goin anywhere.

811B27FA-1C46-437E-9EDF-9EA596337231.jpeg4FAE3486-1ABB-46A6-B8D6-CB52210F8FE0.jpeg
Still need to cut off the angle iron above the jaws and make some wood jaws for it.
On the cart I can roll it outside if working on wood , no sawdust in Shop, should work good.

Now
Mounted it under my Shop cart top with locking wheels, didn’t trust the slot and jaw screws in wood to hold it so I mounted it to a 5/16” plate that has a 90* Bend , drilled and taped mounting holes, and the plate is secured to cart with
7 hd lag screws and 2 3/8” carriage bolts , it ain’t goin anywhere.

View attachment 267936View attachment 267935
Still need to cut off the angle iron above the jaws and make some wood jaws for it.
On the cart I can roll it outside if working on wood , no sawdust in Shop, should work good.

Now you need to make some wood/phenolic/<suitable matl> jaw pads for it. There are a couple of screw holes for holding them in place.

A very nice looking vise and setup. I had pine faces in mine for years and replaced them with red oak about a year ago. The soft pine gripped better. The harder oak lets workpieces slip sometimes if I don't crank it really tight.

I have oak in two of mine and then 7-layer plywood in the third. Yep oak slips.
The plywood works wells until you clamp something like a hunk of angle iron, deforms a bit...

Back