Win. 1886 takedown conversion questions

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
First I want to thank everyone for their input on my previous posts, I learned from all of them.

So I'm thinking of doing a 1886 takedown conversion on one of the receivers I've got laying around. I've the NRA writeup on it and I was wondering if anyone else here has done it, anyone have any other writeups on it, drawings, diagrahms, dimensions, measurements etc.

I've done some rough drawings and measurements myself but I'd like to cover all bases and think it through before starting.

I did similar on a 1892, but naturally different in all dimensions.
Pierre

Pierre, what was the hardest part

I would really appreciate anyone who may have a closeup picture of the takedown plate.

Last edited:
Love the direction you're going, Mike!

You know, since you're building from a receiver, you could make it a 9mm rimless conversion (or 45ACP if that's your pet) in a lever gun. The carts index off the case mouth and are available in RNFP, so they work for tube mags.

Lever guns are lightweight and easy to pack, a takedown is simply that much better!

Edit- I've collected dozens of pictures of take-down rifles of all types. It's kind of a thing with me, I really want to build new and unique takedown versions of semi-iconic guns some day. Now that's something else I need to locate in the archives.

When I get home, later I can take some photos if you wish.
To me the hardest part other than starting the project after lots of should I, was making the oval takedown block. Everything else after careful measurements were turnings and some milling.
Pierre

Yah, I've already done some measuring and cardboard cutouts....just checking and thinking of the machining....I'm thinking the distance between the barrel and mag. Tube will be critical....machine and cut all the inside stuff then work on the outside.....placement of the barrel in the plate will be critical.....due to headspacing.

If anyone has closeup pics of the plate part I would sure appreciate them being posted.

I'm a big bore guy....gonna be 50-110, what do you think of 500 S&W?

Attachments

• 20230309_131659.jpg
    20230309_131659.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230309_132551.jpg
    20230309_132551.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here are a few photos of my 1892 version from the NRA book. Naturally the dimensions are of no value for your 1886, but at least you can see my attempt. The block has 3 set screws to remove any play that will develop over time. The Marlin version that I have in a 1893 rifle and is the same in a 1894, has a wedge/cam locking mechanism that takes care of any play automatically.
BTW this is a 1892 rifle in 25-20.
Pierre
IMGP0804.JPGIMGP0803.JPGIMGP0802.JPG
IMGP0806.JPG

Last edited:
Pierre, thank you so much for the pictures. Can you or anyone else tell me a little more or post some more pictures on the wedge mechanism.

Marlin Takedown photos.
If you look closely at the first photo showing the top of the breech area, the lever has taper built into it and a matching taper on the surface of the block. As the lever closes the taper takes up any space and makes for a nice tight lock up. In fact this is a problem with Marlin Takedowns as people have miss understood how it works. To open the rifle has to be held with the left side facing up and this removes the pressure on the wedge and allows for it to move. So many of these rifles have been mangled by people beating on the lever and lower area. There are marks on this rifle on the bottom surface clearly seen in the third photo. My 1894 was even worse.
IMGP0815.JPG
IMGP0814.JPGIMGP0813.JPGIMGP0812.JPGIMGP0811.JPGIMGP0810.JPGIMGP0809.JPG

Last edited:
Back