Winchester 1885 drawings

6mmsubsonic

Registered
Registered
Would anyone happen to have drawings for a Winchester 1885? I have an 1885 that I inherited from my dad and the breech block was jammed in the action body. I was able to get it out, It doesn’t appear that the action itself is damaged but the breech block is damaged where it slides up and down.

Picture of damaged block? I have a low wall with a number 3 octagon barrel.

Here is the breech block. Firing pin is frozen, rust damage to face of block and the left side of it is where it was hung up on the action body

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpeg
    IMG_0757.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 24
That looks like a good candidate for electrolytic rust removal. Evaporust might also work, but I'd go with washing soda and current...

GsT

That looks like a good candidate for electrolytic rust removal. Evaporust might also work, but I'd go with washing soda and current...

GsT
Electrolytic is the way to go, but that looks like it was dug up from outhouse row in some ghost town. It's gonna be a challenge to turn back time on that guy...

Electrolytic is the way to go, but that looks like it was dug up from outhouse row in some ghost town. It's gonna be a challenge to turn back time on that guy...
I agree. I think starting from scratch with heat treatment will be safer than what I have. The firing pin pocket is destroyed from rust. I want it to work by getting the action solid and re-lining the barrel for maybe 22 LR or 22 Hornet.

Back