wind spiners

motoseeya

Registered
Registered
I hope some one can help me with a small problem. I want to build some wind spinners and want to know what would be the best way to bend some sheet metal in a half moon with a concave on the inside to catch the wind. It will be shaped something like a willow leaf. If someone has an idea of how to bend or knows what machine to get that would be cool.
I need to make about 40 or so alike so a machine would be better for replication of parts. thanks

motoseeya

Since they are an odd shape and are probably not to heavy of material , I think I would saw the profile out of some hard wood in 2 pieces and press them in an arbor or shop press depending how big they are. You might be able to use a vise.

Lots of.ways to.do it bit they all depend on the material and what you are building.
Some basic ideas
Make a positive.and.negative.mold and press them together with a piece of sheetmetal between them
Use a Bender such.as.you find at harbor freight you.might.have.to make a special die to make.a more.sloping bend
An English wheel is nice.for.making graceful curvesbut there is a learning curve.and.even.the.cheaper ones can be.pricey
Another tool that might.work... its really 2 tools. Shrinker and stretcher
They can start a piece of metal into a cup shape nicely... there is some trial and.error.to.it... all up to your skill and what you want.to.make... than also the money you want to put into it. The stamp on a hydrallic press would.require some setup but after that it would just be feeding in sheetmetal. The molds do not have to be metal. Ive done.ones with wood blocks. Just make the blocks.beefy enough to work with.the metal and the press...

Go to a harbor.freight.and.look.around.and maybe.some.of.my suggestions.and.thentools.you.see will help...

Hope.this is some help for.you.

Rich

Aluminum or steel? What gauge? How deep/wide is the dish? Drawing of the shape would help too. I've done a little metal shaping with a hammer and beater bag, stump, dollies, planishing hammer, english wheel, pullmax. If aluminum I know a cool little trick that is super easy and you can make several identical parts in no time.

I definitely agree on using a die if your metal gauge will allow it. You can then create multiple identical pieces that will help eliminate or reduce the balancing required once it is assembled. What kind of center support or bearing are you planning to use if it is a rotating project? Bearings that are sealed often require a good bit of oomph to break or overcome the stiction inside the lubed sealed bearing and must be taken into account so that the spinner will do that even in a slight or minimal breeze. Hope this helps

Bob

I definitely agree on using a die if your metal gauge will allow it. You can then create multiple identical pieces that will help eliminate or reduce the balancing required once it is assembled. What kind of center support or bearing are you planning to use if it is a rotating project? Bearings that are sealed often require a good bit of oomph to break or overcome the stiction inside the lubed sealed bearing and must be taken into account so that the spinner will do that even in a slight or minimal breeze. Hope this helps

Bob

all are good ideas have tried most of them press will bend metal but creases it. maybe a hammer press but to much $ I will try to bend copper pipe and cut with ban saw and see what :thinking::thinking::thinking:happens. But trying to make 30 or 40 of them identical is going to be a dog. but thanks to every body I will let you know if I come up with something that works.
motoseeya

I guess you don't want to post a drawing or tell us the gauge material or type material

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

I guess you don't want to post a drawing or tell us the gauge material or type material

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Want to use 1/16 copper sheet less waste of mat. Can make by hand but to time consuming was just hopeing someone had a better way. I did not mean to sound so impersonal
Thanks again motoseeya

This works on aluminum really slick but copper may be a little tougher. Make a mold/form in hardwood of the part you want to make (concaved), then use an air hammer (Aircraft type) to form your part in it. You may have to anneal it a few times if it's a deep dish. You should be able to planish it in the mold by running the ah over and over till it smooths out. There are some videos of doing this on youtube using aluminum but not sure about copper.

I think this mite work anneal the copper and make a mold out of hard rock maple and use a air hammer like a planishing hammer and use low air pressure.:thinking:
thanks I will try this week end and let you know how it works. motoseeya

Back