Windmill Generator Prototype

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0772.JPG IMG_0769.JPG Just for fun I carved a propeller out of some scrap maple I had laying around so decided to a practical yard ornament. So far I have it running pretty well and the next phase is to
make some sort of permanent magnet alternator. Yesterday with all the wind it was running
at 1500 to 2000 rpm. It's interesting and a learning experience. It was a good opportunity
for me to use my bolt circle feature on my digital readout. Also I used my home made
center finder and new home made tap wrench. Here's a photos of part of the shop work
and a shot of the windmill taken in the dark. I see my photo cut off half the tail but you get the idea... The shaft is keyed and threaded on the propeller end and is running on two ball bearings pressed into a steel machined tube. The rear end of the shaft will hold the spinning magnets
and stationary coils.

Last edited:
I love the ball handels on the tap wrench.
I would look for a permenant magnet dc motor as the gen.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Nice propeller carving, I'd like to see more shots of that!
Also I remember an old book that Lindsay used to sell about turning an automotive alternator into a generator....but I never tried it myself.
-brino

I love the ball handels on the tap wrench.
I would look for a permenant magnet dc motor as the gen.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Thanks for the compliment on the tap wrench balls. I thought of a PM dc motor but want to try some kind
of radial magnet affair and wind my own coils so I can have some control of the voltage generated and the proximity
of the magnets to the coils for start in wind speed. All the parameters are set on existing motors and I can see
that it will be a trial and error thing. I ordered some super-duper magnets and will build the alternator with
adjustable parameters. Also, I may decide to build a larger propeller in which case some adjustment may
be needed there as well. I want to use direct drive with no gears or pulleys as that would decrease the efficiency.
Whatever it turns into, I'm having fun putting it all together.

Nice propeller carving, I'd like to see more shots of that!
Also I remember an old book that Lindsay used to sell about turning an automotive alternator into a generator....but I never tried it myself.
-brino

Years ago we built a 3 blade prop with 6 foot diameter and used a car alternator. We mounted it on a post close
to the ground and it did work. Once it was up and running though, it was definitely something to watch from
a distance!

Back