Windshield wiper motor

TrxR

Registered
Registered
From what i can tell a winshield motor runs around 50rpm and some where around 15flt/lbs of torque. If i was to use a couple of pulleys to get the rpm up to 200rpm how much torque am i going to lose?

15 f/lbs X 50/200 minus drag of the belt. Cog belt would be miles better than a V-belt.

Speaking of wiper motors, I built a wool carder recently similar to one that was lost in our fire but was balking at the $100+ to motorize it when I stumbled upon the windshield washer motors on EBAY for abut $15. Turns out one of the best ideas I have had in a long time. That plus $10 for a 12v supply and $8 for a speed controller is vastly superior to using the gear motor in the original one.

A wool carder has a large drum rotating at the basic speed and a smaller one counter-rotating at about a third of the speed. You feed washed wool from a sheep into it and it combs it into a smooth batt in preparation for spinning.

CARDER13.JPG

Not sure what your application is but speeding it up with pulleys would cause torque loss as mentioned and will will have to deal with slippage so the toothed belt would be a good solution. In my case 50 RPM was about ideal and slowing it down is always easier.

You might also want to consider the speed controller. They are too cheap these days to even think twice.

Jack

Back