Wire caged Fans

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Check & verify the spacing of the wires if you've got one of these!

Well, I was bit bad by one on Sunday night. Instead of being smart and using the poorly design handle I grabbed it on is sides to scoot it.
There was one small area where the wire(s) had spread out creating a larger slot in which my pinky finger found access.
One some styles of fans the halves screw together, on Patton fans they use some sort of tang/finger design which I never have quite figured out.
I like Patton fans, they have good velocity and run pretty well. This one is another of my estate sale finds which I had to tear down to rewire it and clean up.
I must not have used the proper amount of finesse during re-assembly and ended spreading out the wires.
The real pisser is that the tips of the blades are mangled from hitting something during it's lifetime and that translated into a nicely mangled digit for me.
You know you've done it up good when they have to make two attempts at stitching it up in the ER.
I'll be switching to Vornado fans in the future. Better-Half scored one at a sale a few weeks ago and it's decent.
Now then - how in the heck do you crank handles with your left hand bandaged up and you are left-handed also?

0703181427_r007.jpg...0703181427_HDR_r008.jpg...0702180050a_r005.jpg

I have a couple of those fans, smaller ones, they fall over easily with those ski-runner legs.
Good finger choppers too I see, thanks for the warning
Mark

Just EOOOOCH , I too have a Patton fan and I too hate the handle set up. Its hanging and set so I just plug it in. Does blow a good breeze tho.

Owch! Having had the odd hand immobilized a few times after teeth are removed from knuckles in my youth I can say that with just a little practice one can become ambidextrous pretty fast. About three days and you should have it mastered.
Plastic bags and masking tape are wonderful thing to have for keeping dressing uncontaminated when working just make sure everything can breath occasionally .

Owch! Having had the odd hand immobilized a few times after teeth are removed from knuckles in my youth I can say that with just a little practice one can become ambidextrous pretty fast. About three days and you should have it mastered.
Plastic bags and masking tape are wonderful thing to have for keeping dressing uncontaminated when working just make sure everything can breath occasionally .
Yeah, it's been plastic bags and blue painters tape for a few days now.
I thought I was pretty ambidextrous to start, I write lefty, but use a calipers and mic and scissors with my right. Bat and throw righty.
I'll tell you though, I've banged this sucker so much today, that it hurts like it did Sunday night.
I'm walking around like I'm saying the pledge of allegiance with my left hand. It's funny how many things are at arm dangling hand height.
In 59 years this is the worst 'digit' injury I have encountered. Knock-on-Wood, it will be the last.

As Bill Engvall would say "Here's your Sign..."
This wasn't the fan that got me, I was cleaning this one up and saw the tag and starting laughing. :grin:
This one has solid sides.

Dang wound got infected despite great care. At the walk-in clinic at the hospital (Co-Pay is cheaper) they decided to remove the stitches since it had been ten days.
I tell ya, the instruments they used were in my opinion barbaric, and not very good quality. It was some needless discomfort.
The scissors wouldn't cut the filament sutures. I knew we were in for a rough removal when it took more than a couple of minutes to snip (7) sutures and the nurse kept sighing and making exclamations under her breathe.
Next time (IF there is a next time) I'll take along a pair of medical clippers.

Fan-Warning_01.jpg....
clipper.jpg
Tools used, I've got better scissors in my tool box. The grind marks on them look to be 80grit.
image.png

Back