[How do I?] wire forward-reverse switch

I might to start out with doing 2 toggle switches.. but eventually want the ease of a drum switch.. lots of em on amazon for about $15... so may just jump and do it that way as well?

That's pretty reasonable, new ones are much more. Most are made by Furnas. There are two basic internal contact styles, I don't know the Furnas part numbers offhand, the more common one will open both sides of the power when in the "off" position, the other one will only open one side. If that matters to you. Both will give forward and reverse with center off.
I guess show me the one you're looking at and I can (hopefully) tell you which type it is.
Mark S.

Type of drum switch that opens both sides of the power I call the "twin hockey stick" type.
The other one I call the "chopsticks" type.
The hockey stick one is more popular and more common. I think I have a picture here somewhere...let me look
Mark

Here's the two types of drum switches I was talking about:
R1 is the "hockey stick"
RS1 /R44 is the "chopstick"
Mark

Attachments

• Furnas Electric Style R1 Drum Switch black on white.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 14
  • RS1_diagram Furnas R-44.pdf
    141.6 KB · Views: 13
yep those are them. not sure what the wire contacts look like inside tho.. I know one the second one it mentions having 12 contacts but that just blows me away?

The third one down is the one you want, the pictures I posted may have incorrect names-
Looks like RS-1 is actually the hockey stick type. Most expensive one, of course. You could get a used one on ebay maybe.
Not sure about the 3 other ones you linked to, you'd have to get the internal spec for them
Also looks like Furnas isn't in business anymore, but someone else is making them.
Mark
ps looks like the second one down could be made to work for 220v. Kind of small handle tho. Cheaper. Harder to mount. Not useable for 115v connection.
pss I believe all the Excell branded ones are made in China- not sure about the quality on those.

Last edited:
I looked on Epay and didn't see any decent used ones for less than a new one. It seems people pay stupid expensive prices for "vintage" units. To me it's just a dumb ol' switch. So I'd get a nice shiny new one.
Mark

I looked on Epay and didn't see any decent used ones for less than a new one. It seems people pay stupid expensive prices for "vintage" units. To me it's just a dumb ol' switch. So I'd get a nice shiny new one.
Mark
agreed.. I can understand if you're wanting a factory refurb.. but mine is just going for usability..

Back