[How do I?] Wire This Up? 220 Volts Is My Choice.

Richard White (richardsrelics)

Registered
Registered
Motor is set for 220 volts, just not an electrician so I do not know which wires go where? I have 3 photos.
First is Square D drum switch:
Square D drum switch.jpg

Second is internal wiring for the motor, please verify, but it looks like it is already set for 220 volt operation..
motor internal.jpg
And the last is the plate on the outside of the motor...motor is a Dayton 5K987BA thermally protected motor.

Motor.jpg

I do understand if you help, I can't hold you responsible for any and all damages I may cause by making the connections myself. The drum switch currently has 6 wires labeled 1-6 respectively. I also have 220 volts to the switch but nothing connected internally at the switch.

So what I am asking is, please advise what numbered wires go to which terminal(s) in the drum switch, including incoming power. Then which wires from the drum switch to which terminals on the motor.

Upon investigation and reading the tag I understand that the motor "MAY" run the opposite direction when first started, and that if that occurs, per the directions I just need to swap red and black leads on the motor. I wish the motor to be reversible thru the drum switch

I had this running on a different motor but that motor had bad bearing so I swapped out for this new motor.

Thanks

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Richard,
are you wanting this motor to be bi-directional?

Well the motor is wired for 220. The drum switch not sure of. need to see the rest of the lable

I have read this switch when run on 220 leaves one line hot all the time, can this be resolved by simply installing an on/off switch on that line?

Back