Wire Wheels Have More Uses Than I Thought

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I'll need to replace the blade cleaner brush on my bandsaw soon. It just uses a 2" wire wheel with a through hole. I do have a wire wheel like this that has a removable arbor but not sure where I got it. All the ones I've looked at locally have a crimped on 1/4" arbor as usual. My plan was to just drill the center to remove the arbor. But looking closer at them it looks like if I do that the crimp will get undone & the thing may just fall apart.

So I found these wire wheels on ebay that has a through hole & the exact size hole I need. $13 shipped for 10 of them but coming from China. 10 will last me more than a lifetime.

Anyways it seems they have more uses than I was aware of. They recommend to "Please keep one in your car, office, and kitchen in case for need". Um ok, will do. :D

20200821_142208.jpg
20200821_143607.jpg
20200821_143526.jpg

I use them mostly for removing perfectly good skin from my hands and arms on many projects , I guess I should keep a few hundred at the house . Oh , wait , I already have a few hundred at the house ! :grin: ( funny thing is , I was just talking about wire wheels to the 2 mechanics I just relieved )

Also . We use the brass wheels on our dies when cleaning them up . They shoot the darn wires out everywhere ! Can't tell you how many times they end up stuck in my shirt , then of course I tuck that shirt in and they end up stuck in the underwear . o_O

I was cleaning up after coming in from the shop last week. I washed my hands and then my face.
I noticed one eye-brow hair that hurt my face to touch and was a little stiffer than the rest.........
.......yep a wire from the wire wheel.

I guess that's why I wear those safety glasses!

-brino

Back