Wiring help needed

Often the thermal switch IS feeding both the run and start circuits. Is there a diagram you haven't posted yet?
My assumption looks to be correct: the red and black wires are only the start winding not the entire start leg.
So you may have to disassemble the motor to figure out how the start leg is configured and the thermal protector wiring. It can be a pain.
My advice: use the second switch for power and the drum for direction only:
Extend the red and black wires and connect them to drum switch 3 and 4. Connect drum switch 1 and 5 back to the motor terminals where red and black came from. Drum 2 and 6 not connected. Connect your second switch in series with the hot line wire to the motor. Done.
Thanks for your help, that worked great. I had another idea though. I kind of like the drum handle size/placement on my bench to turn the lathe on/off.
If I would keep my incoming power on drum 2/6 and 1/5 back to the motor, I would have an on/off/on at the
drum.
Then use a DPDT toggle to control direction.
From what I’ve read the toggle wiring would be:
Extend red/black start wires out to 2 center terminals
Connect 4 outboard terminals using a X pattern
Connect 2 wires back to motor from either outboard end of switch
I could do this with a 4 wire cord
Does this sound like it would work?

For Dayton type switch with contacts like this:

dayton switch.jpg

It would be wired like this:

wiring.jpg

with the neutral (white) power cord connected as originally.

View attachment 305457

View attachment 305458

Thank you much for the info. This looks like the best way to go, unfortunately have to buy a new switch to do it. Too bad I couldn’t modify the one I have but that really doesn’t look possible.

View attachment 305457

View attachment 305458

Just a quick update to this post. I decided to go the one switch route and bought a new switch from Grainger. I hooked it up as suggested and it worked perfectly. Thank you for the idea and wiring diagramF5E888E8-8AD6-4C24-8F23-C775D1FE4BE3.jpeg

Just a quick update to this post. I decided to go the one switch route and bought a new switch from Grainger. I hooked it up as suggested and it worked perfectly. Thank you for the idea and wiring diagram

Glad to help! :encourage:

Back