• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

Wiring in a line filter

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good evening gents,
electrical isn't my strong suit and I'm getting some instruction that seems illogical to me, hopefully someone can shed some light here. I am swapping my G0602 lathe out to vfd. The wiring I was shown for the line filter has a line in and a neutral in one one side (2 separate connections) the line in has a ground from the electronics case attached to it. This just can't be right, but this is how this other person that did a similar setup has it wired, and it ran! Weather it's line or neutral, in or out, I don't see how it can be grounded to the case (?)
Thanks in advance.

mksj

Active User
Should not be grounded to the case ground, the neutral is separate from ground and the two are only bonded at the service entrance. Not sure what they were smoking when they hooked that up. In addition, some filters are symmetrical so they can be used in either direction, so each side will be labeled load/line, others have a power in (Line) and a Load side.
Line filter.jpg

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Thanks guys. It's hard to make out the details, but yeah, it's what it looked like but I knew it couldn't be. Your pic have shed some light on the details i may not be seeing.
thank you for the quick responses!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock