Wiring my 3 Phase Lathe to my RPC

I will post pictures of the terminals on the machine when it comes in a few days.

Here is a guy doing the same thing on the same machine, starting at the 2:55 mark (and ends at the 6:05 mark):

Last edited:
From watching the above video, the machine comes with a cord already wired to the machine.

This being the case, I don’t know why I bought a length of cord from American Rotary. I will have the option of using the factory cord or the length that I bought from American Rotary.

I gather that the 3 phase has ground, x, y and z.

It looks like green may be ground, and the red, white and black are the x, y and z are the 3 legs.

In another thread, a few people said something to the effect of not attaching the manufactured leg to (?). I understand that, while 2 of the legs may be interchangeable, the manufactured leg must be attached to the proper terminal.

Maybe I could look inside the RPC and match the colors for each male & female terminal (red to red, white to white, etc.).

I won’t be electrocuting myself because the RPC isn’t plugged in, but I want to avoid frying either my new RPC or lathe.

Last edited:
The nice thing is that if you get the ground correct, the others don't really matter. If the spindle rotates the wrong way, switch any two.
And the ground is easy, it's the green wire.

This does sound like an easy job! I just want to fish out this question of not attaching the manufactured leg to the (?). I will look up that info now...

Here it is. @mksj said:

“The RPC is sweet, it is a 50A socket for the input. One thing that is very important, is that two legs of the 240VAC are pass through, these must be attached to the transformer legs on the lathe/mill/etc. The wild leg (manufactured/generated leg) should not be connected to a control transformer or circuity.”

Apparently, if I attach the “wild leg (manufactured/generated leg)...to a control transformer or circuity”, the machine can run (1) rough, and (2) sub-optimally.

In this YouTube video, the gentleman talks about x, y and z at the 1:45 mark:

In the video, he says:
green for ground,
black for x
white for y
red for z (and z is the wild leg)

Last edited:
The nice thing is that if you get the ground correct, the others don't really matter. If the spindle rotates the wrong way, switch any two.
And the ground is easy, it's the green wire.
Yep. Easy peasy.

Back