Wiring problems with a Busy Bee DF-1237G (DF1224G) lathe

zonk2

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, I am new on this site. I purchased a used Busy Bee DF1237G lathe just recently and it had the wiring disconnected from it. The wiring diagram that would have come with it is missing also. The motor can be wired for 110 or 220V. The motor is a Taiwanese induction one. Also, the wiring is not colour coded so it makes it difficult to understand what is going on.
Would anyone have a picture or wiring diagram showing how the motor is wired. I am probably going to wire it for 110V.

Zonk2

Is there a transformer in the box? If you can set it to 1xx from 2xx, that way the controls will have the correct voltage. After that you will have to rewire the motor to 1xx as you know.
How this helps a bit.
Pierre

I bought almost the same lathe ,the 24" one. It's wired 120,so it is doable. The wiring on mine looks very questionable, note polite language, a small toggle switch and no reverse. I haven't set the lathe up yet, it's still sitting on a furniture dolly on the floor.

Have you contacted Busy Bee to see if they can send you a manual. That model is not listed in their manual library but they do say to contact them if your model is not listed.

http://www.busybeetools.com/pages/Manuals.html

I emailed Busy Bee and got a reply back.They said, "D F 1237G cannot be wired for 110v as it prewired for 220v.All the components are at 220v."
So, I am now going to wire it for 220V. The higher voltage will be better anyway.
Funny thing is, that it came used with a 3 wire 110V cable ???

I doubt that it is 220 only. The contactors etc will be marked on the pull in coils. Check first! Electricity bites hard at times.

I doubt that it is 220 only.

That depends on the voltage transformer that's used on the lathe. The transformer on my mill has 110V & 220V inputs which is consistent of it's specs, can run on either. My lathe on the other hand is not listed as being capable on running on 110V. Sure enough, the transformer on my lathe only has inputs for 220V & higher, no 110V input.

Now that the OP has stated it had a 110V plug on it who knows, but then again someone could have cared less & wired up a NEMA 5-15 outlet for 220V. Best thing to do is look at the transformer inside the control panel & see what inputs voltages it supports.

Back