Wiring question...

I assume from your question that you've got a vari-speed BP head. On my J-head with step pulleys it's no contest to using the VFD instead of the belts, unless I need to really speed up or slow down.

Yup, I do have the 2hp variable speed head. It's just as easy and quick to turn the dial as it it the potentiometer. But I do like the fine tuning capability with usng both.. But then again not sure I need to be that precise with a garage tool.

Thanks again,
Dino

Very likely true. Not many "need" the speed control of the VFD. The primary reason I believe most hobbyists use them is to deal with the single phase vs three phase problem. The variable is merely a bonus. I've thought about one for my bp clone, it's a step pulley, but as long as I've used it like it is, I wouldn't know how to act with a VFD. Plus I have three phase in the shop. Maybe someday I'll find a machine where I'll see enough advantage to get one.

People building CNC mills who intend to use a rigid tapping cycle would need one if their control didn't include a spindle encoder and accurate speed control. I've seen it done with the Reeves type drive, and it's a little iffy dialing in the speed. And you will break a few taps if you don't have the speed close. Even with an accurate VFD, without an encoder, you're limited to one shot tapping.

Well, now that I've been playing a bit more with the unit I must admit, I find myself using the speed control on the VFD much more than the wheel on the unit BP. I basically set the mill speed to about 2400 rpm and then adjust the VFD.

lovin' my WEG!

Thanks again,
Dino

Back