[Newbie] Wiring split phase motor to drum switch

abeship

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone,

Struggling a bit on getting my drum switched hooked up on my lathe. I purchased a new 3/4 hp motor - dayton, link below. The switch I have is a 2601AG2 Square D, also link provided.

Dayton D170

In one of schneiders attachments I was able to find a wiring diagram for a 110V split phase motor, but I am a little perplexed on how to do this. Page 4 shows the wiring diagram I am talking about.

Here are some photos from the motor, as well as a distribution block I plan to use.

I think I've got a pretty good understanding around the functionality of the switch as well as the motor. Where I am stumbling is how each of these makes a connection to eachother. As you can see in the image of the motor, I've got 4 terminals, and two leads into those terminals. What I did here was disconnect the red and black, add a lead to the two terminals they are hooked into (2 and 5) and then ran a lead from the screw terminals (1 and 4). So I've got six leads coming out of my motor, red, black, and terminals 1,2,4,5. Where I struggle is most diagrams I see have only 4 leads coming out from the motor, but this was the only way I could think to be able to physically switch these.

It feels like something minor I am missing. I was able to hook up red and black to my switch and reverse those and prove the motor can switch rotation, I just am not sure how to do this without "hard-wiring" the motor. The issue I was seeing was even in neutral my motor was receiving a voltage as I had ran the voltage lines directly to the motor.

I'd be up for trying different configurations but I'm afraid of the magic smoke...

Want to apologize, forum would not let me post the post with any links, so I had to remove them...

One of the electrical guru's will be here shortly..they know their stuff..

One of the electrical guru's will be here shortly..they know their stuff..

Hope so! Been itching to get this working, and feel like it's something simple but not sure. Either way I'll be happy when it is solved and hopefully be able to do this on my own next time.

Hi, guru here. We need to reduce your 6 motor leads down to 4, then you can wire it. Are you able to post pictures? It would be most helpful and faster if we can see the inside of the switch and the wiring picture from the motor
mark
Here is the datasheet for the switch, but we need data on the motor also

Attachments

• Type A and B Reversing Drum Switches_2601AG2.pdf
    585.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Couple of them are on the wrong coast.they might still be outside playing...working..

Hi, guru here. We need to reduce your 6 motor leads down to 4, then you can wire it. Are you able to post pictures? It would be most helpful and faster if we can see the inside of the switch and the wiring picture from the motor
mark
Here is the datasheet for the switch, but we need data on the motor also

Here are some attached pictures. As shown in the picture, the red and black are wired to terminals 2 and 5. The two screw terminals are terminals 1 and 4.

What I did is disconnect the red and black from terminals 2 and 5, run red and black as leads to my switch, and then a lead for each terminal 1,2,4, and 5. This was the only way I could picture being able to switch red and black between terminals 2 and 5 as if they were hard wired they wouldn't ever switch.

IMG_0422 (1).JPG

IMG_0420 (1).JPG

Good evening, Sir; Guru Nr 3 here. At best I'm only Nr 3, actually could very well be Nr 97 or so. I've only been an industrial electrician for 50+ years or so. There are many more knowledgible than me.

There seems to be some "mis-understanding" about this. Lets try to define the connections here. My machines are usually conected 6 wire from the motor to the switch. Your's may differ, depending on the location of several things

First off, Nr 5 and Nr 6 terminal are an ON-OFF switch, making up in either direction. Nr1 thru N 4 form an "X" or an "=", depending on direction. That is where the RED and BLACK wires will go. But, they will connect in an "X" configuration. Diametrically opposed, if you will.

The incomming line(black) will connect to (say) 5 and then 6 will go to the motor line connection. The white wire will connect directly to the motor. This is the black and white of the line cord, NOT the black hanging out the back of the motor. That takes care of the power cord. The motor will run when switched in either direction. Direction will be as set up.

We next set up the directionals, the RED and BLACK on the back of the motor. Note the red and black terminals, they are 1/4" stabs, "Fast-on" connections. Red and black will connect to Nr 1 and Nr 4 on the switch. The "female" connectors may use matching "male" connectors, if you have them. Or, cut off the connectors and splice the two wires to the switch.

Then two wires will run from Nr2 and 3 back to the motor, to the 1/4" stabs. Use mating connectors here, do not solder them. If it runs backwards, to you!, reverse the BLACK and RED wires. I also urge the use of a grounding conductor if the switch is not connected metal to metal with the motor. There is a 7 conductor cable just for this, but you need to know how to ask for it. It varies place to place.

Now, the disclaimer. I offer this based on the data sheet provided above. Terminal numbers vary on different switches. Look at item Nr 10, the second row, far right. That explains what is taking place. This explanation is based on that diagram. There are ways to connect jumpers to cut down the wire count. But, to me a three foot piece of wire is cheap insurance.

EDIT: There are two screws/studs in addition to the stabs. These are the "line" connections.

Bill Hudson

Last edited:
My bad..I said a couple of guru's..should of said there's so many I can't count them all..don't care what you ask about you will get a helpful answer.i'll shut up now...

Back