Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

I haven't done the calculations for this converter of yours. I'm not saying adding additional start capacitors will do what you want.

My advice is to connect it up and see what it does on an ammeter. You'll need a clamp-on ammeter, appropriately sized conductors and breaker. This is what I did and it all went really well. And, it all jived with what the manufacturer stated.
I was hoping to reduce the inrush and not blow up the transformer that feeds my house in case it is not appropriately sized. :)

If that is truly your concern, you are definitely in need of a professional to help assess if you have adequate service. This is literally why the code exists. I'm happy to help and don't want to sound rude. But if you don't know, forum advice is definitely not going to suffice should you have a really bad day with this.

With that said, let's start here: what does the manufacturer say and recommend as far as feeder circuit size? I posted photos of this info for my American Rotary RPC. If you install in in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, you are doing the right thing.

The vendor states 80A breaker with 4awg from breaker-to-panel, and also from panel-to-RPC.

I'd like to thank everyone that contributed to this long-winded thread.

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

With 2/0 copper wire feeding the juice within 2-feet of the RPC panel (all the way from the house main panel), the lights didn't even dim! My 10HP compressor has more in-rush!

Good work. Nice to see it was balanced well enough to run the welder.

Yup, the voltages between the hot legs were within 1% of each other. Therefore I highly recommend Southern Phase Converters. I got this one on Ebay for $1200 shipped because someone bought the wrong one, so their loss was my gain..

Back