Wiring up a new coolant pump

Hi Guys,
Just a follow up. The wiring suggested is correct, The problem is definitely mechanical.
Feeling the way the shaft turns if feels like bearings to me not rubbish in the impella.
My coolant tank is clean and I haven’t submerged the pump yet so this also makes me think it isn’t the impella.
After a few more on offs and jams and me turning the shaft forwards backwards with my fingers the gritty feeling did not return.
From this I conclude the bearings ground up the debris.

So it’s working ok now. Just not a great out of box experience to say the least.
Thanks heaps for helping me sort out the wiring.
I would not have guessed this is a single compactor motor and that the thing in the cover replaced the capacitor in the cabinet at the back. Now I can make some cuts and add juice

I filled the coolant tank today and turned the pump without the output hose connected.
It gushed out like a fire hydrant straight out of the pump into the bottom of the table.
I connected the hose to the hose barb on the pump and barely a dribble came out of the nozzle.

By the state of the old pump Im guessing the hose is plugged somewhere.
I'm glad I tested the pump with coolant first :)
Next I'll start pulling the hoses and flex pipes off.
I think the previous owner was milling some kind of fiberglass that had a strange reaction with the coolant.
It was certainly corrosive and dried like flour and water.

It will be a nice machine when I'm finished :)
Thanks again guys.

Looks like you have it figured out, but for future reference OL probably means overload, which is the same as you should see with the leads not connected to anything.

A good practice is to short the leads together before you make a measurement. You should see zero or very close, which tells you the leads are connected and all is working correctly. Without auto ranging, I typically start on a high range and work down if needed to get better resolution.

Capacitors can take a while to charge/discharge, so when one of those is in the circuit you might have to wait a few seconds for the measurement to stabilize.

Abom79 (Adam Booth) has an old video or three on cleaning up the coolant tank on his Monarch. Gigantic mess.

I always touch the probes together when checking resistance. But good tip!
I like watching Adam and yes I did see his coolant tank clean out video.
I was thinking of him when I was cleaning out my tank.
I used to use a Monarch lathe when I was in my teens during my apprenticeship. Long time ago now.
We never cared what the machines were named.
I only know it was the same machine from the sounds it makes right down to the clutch handle hitting the swarf tray when engaging the chuck to go forwards and the floppy linkages when you disconnect again.
It also had the same taper turning attachment. I never cleaned out that mankey tank :)

Back