[How do I?] Wiring Up Single Phase 220v Drum Switch To Motor On My Bridgeport

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all, can one of you bright folks help me wire in this drum switch? I will post it by pictures

First pic is the brand new Leeson single phase motor with adapter plate.
IMG_3789.JPG

next pic is the wiring schematic on the side of the motor
IMG_3790.JPG
next are the wires as shipped. This is wired as shipped for 220v
IMG_3797.JPG
next are some pics of the new single phase drum switch
IMG_3791.JPG IMG_3792.JPG IMG_3794.JPG

would someone like to help me out hooking up these wires to the switch? L1 and L2 are my 2 hot wires on my 220v plug. The load lines (T2, T3,T8,etc) are the wires from the motor. But what is 12?

IMG_3793.JPG

just a FYI,the switch terminals 8 and 12 don't necessarily receive those motor wire numbers.

for ccw rotation:
you'll use switch L1 and switch L2 for your line connections (220vac) at the switch
motor T2,T3,T8 are connected together inside the motor enclosure with a wire nut or insulated end termination- no other connections are made on these wires
switch T1 will connect to motor P1
motor P2 will get a wire nut or other insulated end termination- no other connection is made with this wire
switch T2 will connect with motor T4 and T5

for clockwise rotation
switch L1 and L2 are still line connections
motor t2,t3,t5 connected together, no other connections are made
switch T1 connects to motor P1
motor P2, end termination- no other connections
switch T2 connects with motor T4 and T8

Last edited:
you may need to post a switch diagram if you'd like to run the motor in both directions.

but essentially you'll need to switch motor t5 and t8 to reverse rotation

you may need to post a switch diagram if you'd like to run the motor in both directions.

but essentially you'll need to switch motor t5 and t8 to reverse rotation

Yes, I want it to run in both directions. There is no wiring diagram that came with the switch tho, so what do I do here?

you'll need to get a hold of an ohm meter and find how the switch is wired
once you can ascertain the internal connections we can go further
in the switch center position there should be no continuity between poles
you'll need to actuate the switch and record the continuity
then switch the switch to the opposite pole and record the continuity once again
once you have a roadmap, the connections should be easy to make

ok, look at the second pic of the switch.
with the switch in OFF position, the 8 and blank (to the right in the picture) and also the 12 and blank to right of picture) make continuity. Not the blanks to the left of the numbers 8 / 12, but the blanks under T1
When the switch is in FORWARD position, T1/L1 show cont., blank and blank under T1 & L1 show cont, bottom blank and black no contL2 / T2 show cont, blank and 8 under L2/T2 show no cont, blank and 12 do.
Reverse: L1/T1 cont., L2/T2 show cont., blank and 8 under L2/T2 cont., blank and 12 np cont. blank/blank under T1/L1 no cont., blank and blank under those blanks do shpw cont/.

The guy from ACI is supposed to get back with me tomorrow with the diagram for his switch and the Leeson motor

sorry for the delay-
i got a 10 hr mission today, but i'll be happy to help when i get home from work

it appears that the switch may have removeable jumper bars, if that is the case we can configure the switch any way you'd like

Those are only covers that pop off, that hold the wiring in place.

. The old guy from the switch company hasn't gotten back to me yet, maybe tomorrow. He told me to email him a pic of the Leeson motor diagram, which I did, but he says he couldn't see it, so I re emailed him the pic as an attachment. He says he will email me the correct diagram when he sees the schematic for the motor.

Back